Newbie questions re tires

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Newbie questions re tires
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Schmidt on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:54 am:

I have a 1923 touring car that's I'm trying to keep original as possible (still has the original upholstery and top). Needs new tires though. My questions:
1. Is tread pattern up to my discretion?
2. What about metal valve stems, brass stem covers, etc. - what should I buy in that department?
3. I live in southern Ohio. Is there a place relatively close where I could pick up the tires and save some money?
4. Any other advice before I proceed?

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Snyder's is in New Springfield, Ohio, and they'll have everything T that you'll ever need.

As for tires, there isn't a huge selection out there. Personally, I've run nothing but the Firestone 30" tires. I also use the rubber stems because they're cheap, but the metal ones would be correct (not brass, you car is too late for that).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:19 am:

The metal stem tube is correct, plus advantage over rubber tube is you can use the proper nickel plated lock nut and stem cover.

The metal stem locks to the clincher rim and prevents tearing that a rubber stem can do if the tire casing shifts from too low pressure. These clincher tires are high pressure (60psi min to 70psi) to hold the tire on the rim.

Original wheel and tire

As for tires, the Firestone as Cameron posted is good choice, same brand used on a lot of production (Ford sourced tires from other companies too), but had a personal relationship with Harvey Firestone, so there is a link to history with those tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 09:54 am:

If you want absolutely correct details, I think the Firestone clinchers are authentic for 1923. I believe Wards Riversides came along in the thirties or forties, and I use them because I don't want to pay the horrendous price of Firestones. There is no difference in quality, as all clincher tires come from the same factory.

Riversides on my 1923 touring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 11:26 am:

Universal T-Driver's are probably the best bang for the buck for a driving tire. If you're looking for show points, then maybe some of the others will be better, but the T-Driver is a decent, inexpensive (Well, all things ARE relative) tire.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration