Model T Ignition Key Collectors.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Ignition Key Collectors.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 10:27 am:

.....I was playing with my score of 9 Model T ignition keys that I retrieved from an antique store yesterday when I observed the rare #55 key with the usual "diamond" shaped Top. Now I have what I used to think was a dealership keyboard - yellow with black lettering that says "Don't wait until you lose your Ford key. Get a replacement now." And it's a metal peg board. I probably have 60-70 keys on it but I always thought the numbers 55 and 56 were 'round topped'. What's the truth - round or diamond shaped for 55 and 56?....Earlier this year I was told the key board was not dealer but parts store or hardware store..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 11:05 am:

Correct - accessory key board and I have both "round" & the regular shaped key in #55 - never seen a round #56 and I have as many keys as you do.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:37 pm:

From what I recall hearing over the years was the round #55 keys were from earlier reproductions of the ignition switch where they only made the one numbered cylinder which is why it's the hardest key number to find as an original. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have heard it several times before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:38 am:

The only round top keys I've seen are replacements. I have over 100 original Ford script keys, and they are all the same except for the manufacturer marks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

I agree with Larry. I always thought the round top keys were aftermarket replacements. I have an original black with white outline lettering dealer metal keyboard with five keys of every number on each individual hook and they are all of the diamond shaped 'head', with Ford script, although there were at least two manufacturers. The only round head key that I have ever had (although I've had the chance to buy others) was a #55 that was in the ignition switch of my Grandfather's 27 coupe. I think I got rid of it years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Thanks for all your input guys. I've had 5 of the Round Top 55 keys and 3 of the Round Top 56 keys for years. For so long I've always thought these 2 series were factory. Then I bought this diamond Top #55 key among 8 other Model T keys last Thursday and that got me to thinking - so much so that I initiated this post. Now, does anyone have a #56 diamond topped/shaped key they'd trade for something that would make my collection complete?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

Can someone please post photos of a "round top" and a "diamond shape" key? All the keys I have seen are diamond shaped at the top. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:25 am:

The round top #55 key that I had, and others that I have seen, are plain; no Ford script or anything excepta number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:37 am:

Agree with Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Keys are on ebay all the time. They are getting pricey lately. I think I saw a 56 within the past few days.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration