How slow can you go?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How slow can you go?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Finchum on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:39 pm:

Ok. This is for people like me who are still learning to drive their T. When in high gear, how slow can you go if you just want to cruise along but not very fast. Do you need to retard the spark at all. You know, like about 15-20mph or so in a neighbourhood. Still learning. Thanks, CF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

I often drive 15-20 mph downtown to time the traffic lights. No problem. I don't mess with the timing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

You can pull down the ignition lever until it runs the best without pinging. Any pre ignition pinging and you have to push it up a bit.
Often there's no need to push up the ignition until you're climbing a hill and the car is slowing down - then you may notice better power with the ignition lever in a new position. Running too fast with the ignition retarded will cause overheating, so it's important to advance as soon as you're running faster again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

It shouldn't be a problem going on level or downhill to go 15-20. However, when you are pulling a hill and it lugs down, you should shift to a lower range either with the auxiliary transmission or low pedal. When you lug on a hill you are putting the most strain on the crankshaft.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 11:27 am:

For me it's finding the "sweet spot".
To say that every T will have the same exact spark and gas lever settings isn't quite right in my opinion.

That may be a issue when people read postings about lever settings. In my T experiences with my 3 T,s they are all a little different but not much. Just make sure you don't lug the engine to much or not at all when driving your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

I agree with John about the "sweet spot". The initial timing setting makes a big difference as well as the amount of slack in both the timing rod and in the throttle rod. Also whether you are using battery, or magneto or a distributor.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Doolittle on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

1910- Quote "The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph."
Go to page 4, 6th line of text
http://www.fourseasonsmodelt.com/uploads/3/4/2/5/34254849/march_web_gazettealink s-1.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

My coupe will run smoothly down to about 15 mph with the throttle nearly shut and the spark slightly retarded. If I want to go slower I push the pedal into low. If the engine runs rough or seems to be struggling shift into low. Lugging really stresses the crankshaft.
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

I clocked 8 MPH while crusing through the park this morning after Church. You can easily count the cylinders firing 1,2,4,3,1,2,4,3..... smooth as can be running an E-Timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

I'm kinda with Mike on this, both of my Runabouts will go very slowly in high. One has the original setup and the other has a dizzy.
I'm far more careful with the crankshafts nowadays. Oof, the things I used to do to the Crappy one. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Keep slowing down till the crank breaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Phillip Maurici on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

If you have removed magnets and replace with oil slingers, have advanced timing on cam and high lift cam your car will not be able to run slower than about 12 to 15 mph in high gear. My 27 T can as slow as 8 mph. Two of my other cars without mags must be put in Ruckstell low to go slow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:42 pm:

I can drive my '25 TT exactly 3 MPH in high gear. I even walk next to it with my right hand on the steering wheel in a parade...Then, after the parade is over, I take it out of low Ruckstell and low Warford and go home. ;o)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration