OT EBAY searches

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT EBAY searches
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

They have done it again. I was very happy with and "advanced search" that captured all makes and models of cars within a year range,(1909--1927). I buy and sell cars within that range and it is nice to be able to see everything on EBAY within that range. They, EBAY, have eliminated my ability to trigger that advanced search and provided a new search that doesn't do that same thing. What do they know about how I choose to operate? They have people who don't have the basic understanding of what is required and just diddle with the data to create something that they like, that looks good, and that they think everyone would like. CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 05:22 pm:

Just look up Model T Ford, and pick "used", and "newest items first" to weed out the garbage

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Friday, August 04, 2017 - 11:01 pm:

I like to use Ed's method as well, use it thru out the site, a real time saver !! try searching there book section sometime...WOW !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 12:11 am:

well..... agree with RS . ! New system is just amazingly horrible

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

I use Ed's method as well. It weeds out the worthless stuff.

I'm sure eBay is trying to increase visibility for their sellers who sell a ton of Chinese garbage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I agree, it's gone crazy. I just had a regular search email give me 904 items I don't want!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:03 pm:

I dispise seeing results the DO NOT have the words I searched for in the title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

The "gamer mentality" at work again. They DO NOT want to provide you with a service that you want. They want to massage you into buying things you do not want from their fee paying buddies.
That pertains to most of the computer world today.

Now, specifically ebay.
Fortunately for me, I found an advanced search several years ago (when their system still tried to some extent to provide a service), that is far from perfect (never could figure a way to eliminate the hotrods and modern vehicles identified as "1905"). But it does a decent job of showing me nearly all the cars from 1900 through 1929 that are currently listed.
And I bookmarked it.
Nearly two years ago, I was visiting some of my (less than desirable) family, bored to the bone. So "Why don't you go onto the computer and entertain yourself for awhile?" "Okay!" But this was someone else's computer. NO bookmarks, at least not mine. That was when I discovered that the search I was using, was no longer available given the (then) new advanced search options. And yes, eBad has made many changes since, nearly all of them making things worse for non-gamers.
But my bookmark still works. At least as of last night when I last used it.

I would make no promises about it being to anyone else's satisfaction. But I could share it. Due to my deepening paranoia of our modern gamer age, I am hesitant to put it on open forum. But a simple "copy and paste" from my address bar should work.

Chadwick A, Your comment certainly pertains also to google. Same problem. They do NOT want to offer services to anyone mot paying exorbitant fees anymore. Gone are the idealistic days of an open and available to all internet. It was a place where where google and yahoo made millions of dollars for themselves and employed thousands of well-paid workers. Now they want to make billions of dollars for a very few, and outsource the work to foreign shores for pennies per hour.
I was wanting to find the proper words to a '20s song. This is something I have done many times over the years. And it used to work well. With the song title in quotes, words which also appear in the song IN ORDER. The first twenty results yielded exactly one appropriate result. And it was a similar forum thread search (by someone else) for the same song I was looking for. It did not contain the information I sought. NOT ONE of the other nineteen first results had all the words I requested IN QUOTES.
That used to work. It is all a big game to them. And they think I should let them drive my car for me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

You can still run that search. From the home page, don't search, but click category. Go to eBay Motors -> Cars and Trucks -> all makes. You'll then get all the cars on eBay. Then go to filter. Click model years and check the ones you want. Wham bam, you've got every car on eBay made between 1900 and 1927, or whatever range you want.

You just need to engineer the search correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:44 am:

While we're at it, anybody else tired of wallowing through all of Mac's ebay postings to get to what you're really interested in?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:12 am:

I have numerous bookmarks for Ebay and keep a copy of them Just in case. Ebay is continually trying to make the site unusable by giving you way too many items to sift through, I will willingly sift through 4 to 5 hundred items to find what I want but when the search comes up with 22,796 items I shut my computer off!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:19 am:

You just have to use the tools eBay provides to narrow your search. I often have to go to the filter screen to narrow down more general searches, but I like that. I'd much rather do that than miss something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:22 am:

I forgot Ebay doesn't require their sellers to be honest in the title of the listing, so if they just call it a 23 ford model T you will never be able to filter the hot rods out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Simmering, Afton, TN on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

I am able to filter most of the hot rods by selecting 4 cylinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Filtering out all but 4 cylinder doesn't work if one likes to look at Packards, REOS, and about a hundred other marques that usually weren't 4 cylinder.
Filtering out buzz words like "hotrod" and "rat rod" doesn't work because sellers with nice original cars are taught to put those buzz words into their listings and even titles to pick up people looking for garbage in the hope that someone might think "maybe?"
A few people on this forum have suggested filtering out the word "aluminum" because of all the aluminum hotrod radiators that were being listed. But if I did that? I wouldn't have gotten the aluminum hogshead and '13 hood I needed.

I used to be able to set up a search that would work for most of the things I was looking for. It has become a game of hide-and-seek just to find the page to do that now. And even if I do find the page, many of the options I used to have aren't there anymore. Couple that with all the gamers teaching people to use all sorts of buzz words to attract searches (regardless of whether they are appropriate or not), and you get what you currently have. A ponderous mass of worthless and unrelated junk.

Marty B, I didn't mind much a few years ago when a few dealers put in a few new parts giving my search 700 hits instead of 600 hits. It was easy at that level to ignore the new parts. I always figured that if I needed a new part, I already knew several of the dealers and could call them at my convenience.
But now, MORE than HALF of over 6000 hits are new parts almost all by a handful of dealers. (Yes, mostly Mac's based upon the few I have looked at just to see who they were).

Here again. I use a bookmarked search I have used for years. I cannot seem to edit it anymore, but the basic search still works better than anything I can set up with the newer programmings. When my bookmarked search comes up, on my left side of the screen, I get a few simple options. One of those, under "condition", gives me three boxes to choose to look at. "New", "used", and "Not Specified". I check "Used", and Mac's mostly goes away.

And, by the way, I do not mind the dealers selling good used parts. I look at lots of interesting things offered by Bob's and Model T Haven. Before I got really broke, I used to buy a lot of good parts from a place called 5 Barn Auto, or Garage Cleaner (who I personally know, and he would hold the part until the next time I was in his area). And unlike some of the scammer scrounges, they usually are looking for a reasonable price. Rather than hundreds of dollars for a ten a dollar part.
I mean, REALLY? Some of them have been trying to sell that rotted out worthless piece of rust for two years now! Give it up already.

Slight drift ahead.
I used to regularly look for things related to the 1927 Paige automobile my dad bought in '67. Unfortunately, between books, magazines, various historic collectibles, and a few other things (even toys believe it or not), I cannot limit that search to only eBad Motors. You might not believe how much trash is connected to someone with the name "Paige". And a lot of it is disgusting.
My old search had "exclude" maxed out. The only way I used to be able to add a new name to exclude was by taking out one of my old excludes. I have not tried to edit that search since I found I could not edit my "model T" search anymore.
Now, if I try to look for Paige stuff? I get thousands, sometimes more than 10,000 girl's jeans and purses, listings. And those aren't the worst ones.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration