3/8" hole in axle housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 3/8" hole in axle housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 12:02 am:

I have a 3/8" hole in the passenger side of my rear axle housing. What's up with that? I saw a reference in an old thread that mentioned a freeze plug for that hole. I've not found another reference to it yet. I'll have to look agin tomorrow to see if it's on the top or bottom of the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 12:14 am:

I've heard of people adding a hole in the tube to drain away rear axle oil before it can get to the outer bearing and brakes. The idea of somehow fitting a freeze plug to that is new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Stan Howe used to put a drain hole in the Ruckstells he built. It had a hole with a 3/8" pipe thread on the right side rear axle housing towards the bottom. I've done this myself and like the convenience of easily draining the rear axle oil.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Instness on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Late model rear axle housings have a breather hose on the top of the axle tube. Any chance someone added one to a model T axle housing. Would the be beneficial to a model T to relieve pressure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Saw a T Speedster at the Newport,Indiana Antique Auto Hill Climb last year that had the differential housing drilled and breather\vent tube installed.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration