Fort Devens 1917 - 2017 Ayer, MA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fort Devens 1917 - 2017 Ayer, MA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ressijac on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:27 pm:

Fort Devens in Ayer, MA is celebrating it's 100th anniversary this weekend. Originally Camp Devens it was the home the the Yankee Division during WW1. Today was a bit rainy, but tomorrow should be a great day.

From the Museum's web site:
In August 1917, over 20,000 soldiers were in the midst of training at Camp Devens while war waged in Europe. Come experience displays of US doughboys along with French and German troops; Red Cross and Civilian en- campments as well. Admire period vehicles and equipment and observe President Woodrow Wilson reviewing the troops.

We had a few "T's" on display today, and they would love to have more tomorrow. So if you are in the area please drive on in.

The Museum's web site is: www.fortdevensmuseum.org

Here are pictures of the T there today (the brave in the rain), and President Wilson in my T being driven by his Secret Service agent.

DevensDevens 1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ressijac on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Should have added that the 2 Touring cars are from the Yankee Ingenui T's Club in Townsend, MA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

Hi Rick,

Is the touring car next to your's John Barrett's?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth LeBlanc on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Rick if we came down in a T would we go to museum ? Where will the t's be ? I would have to try and map out a back road route from nh/ ma seacoast

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ressijac on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 06:03 pm:

Hi Bill,
Yes the T next to mine is John's. A brave man today, no top and in the rain.

Hi Ken,
Yes you would go to the museum and they are welcoming all car of the period. If you go to the museum web page, in the upper right corner, it will give you the address and a map. If you plot a back roads course to Main St. in Ayer you will be in good shape. The old main gate to Fort Devens is on West Main St. in Ayer. Once you go through the gate just stay on that road and it will take you directly to the museum (maybe 1.5 mile, I am a poor judge of distance).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Rick,
Thanks for your post. I was there for almost 2 years in 1969/1970, and never looked back. I had assumed that it was closed, but clearly that is not the case. It's like Deja vu, all over again...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ressijac on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Hi Michael,

I figured that there had to be a T'er or two that had past through Fort Devens in the past. The Fort close in 1996, but open the next day as a reserve training center and is very active maintaining a large compound in the center of the Fort, and all of the south post training area (ranges, etc.). It has changed since your days at Devens with all the wooden barracks long gone.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Nikolajevs Dearborn, MI on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:22 am:

A good write up of the event in the Boston Globe.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2017/08/05/worldwar/wtkOdqI0lWtTYOguFLnSjO/sto ry.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:30 am:

Rick, That's a wonderful anniversary celebration and a very nice article too. If I were closer, I certainly would like to be there.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:40 am:

A lot of the major military bases in the US were formed during WWI and are in the process of celebrating their 100th anniversary.
We had the War Wagon out at Camp Shelby in MS a few weeks ago for their, Ft. Gordon, GA last weekend and will be at Ft. Riley, KS in September with a stop at the WWI museum in KC the last weekend in August.

Wish I had known about this event, might have made a nice road trip. Had it out yesterday at a VJ event at a local American Legion event military vehicle show where it was fortunate to win Best In Show.

I read an article one time about how the Model T help us win WWII. Yes, not WWI, but WWII as our averge GI in the second world war had a better mechanical knowledge than the axis due to being exposed to Model T's, A's and farm tractors.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Scholz on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Had the honor of attending USASA security training school there, 8 months in '58, and then recalled there again, for another 10 months, late '61 - '62. Peace time Army was a fantastic education, and got paid for learning.
Proudly served, George

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 08:34 am:

I remember Ft. Devens well. I was stationed there January 1977 to September 1978, 624th MP company. The old Jackson Gate isn't there any more. On the south side of that gate was a path that led to the original rocket stand of Robert Goddard. The old post has much history.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration