1914 head lamp clip

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 1914 head lamp clip
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

I am cleaning up the head lamps to the '14.
I have a couple of questions.

Someone had done some work and the outside looks pretty nice.
It seems that the clip has been painted.
1) Should it be brass just like the hinge?

2) It seems that the inside of the head lamp seems to be pretty rough. I was thinking of using exhaust manifold paint to protect the inside and it should be able to take the head of the gas.
What is the prevailing opinion of the paint?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Steve, on my 14, the clips are brass. As for the paint, I used a high-temp paint on the inside and outside of my headlamps and sidelamps. I can't remember the name of the paint, but claimed to get harder under heat. So far, so good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:50 am:

The gas lamps are air cooled and the buckets get only warm during normal operation. I don't light mine until I'm ready to drive and the brass bonnets, which are the warmest, don't get as hot as your radiator. Don't know about the clip. What lamp do you have?

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:57 am:

Ken,
I have the model 656 made by E&J Detroit Mich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Steve, mine are polished brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 10:52 am:

The Jno.Browns are painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:11 am:

Steve, mine are E&J 656 like yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 10:51 am:

All the latch clips on all of the lamps I have are painted steel. I use a red fiber washer between the clip and the knurled locknut. Looks authentic and protects both nut and latch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration