I really need to triple-gear pin this down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I really need to triple-gear pin this down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

Pressed the three triple gear pins out of the flywheel because they were all worn elliptical. All three bushing were also worn for a total clearance of .015 between the two...ouch. After receiving and measuring the replacement parts and measuring the flywheel holes, I thought, no wonder the 3-ton arbor press wasn't enough. Well, here's the numbers:
triple gear pins
Should I...
A) press the pins in as they are?
B) machine the pins down, then press in?
C) ream the flywheel holes larger?
D) also machine the pins down on the bushing side?
Vern
P.S. using adjustable reamer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

Start by reading par 288 and par 289 on page 79 of the FORD Service Book. It will tell you how to do this job. Dan

PS: If I were you do I would polish the new pins where the gears run till you can see your self in them. The finish is not good enough for the bushings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Saturday, August 05, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Yes, re-read those paragraphs yesterday about the .003 difference, but I'm at .006 and have a choice to make.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Once you press out the old pins the holes will be enlarged in the flywheel. The new pins are made a little oversized where press in to now fit the holes. The holes in the flywheel can't get smaller as your chart show they can only get larger when the old pin was pressed out. You might want to recheck the hole size because if I read your chart right, the hole is smaller then the old pin that was pressed out. ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Vern, What type of instruments are you using to measure? To get a Proper reading you need inside mikes. Calipers are not more than a guess. To get true readings you need good tools. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Check the finish if you can using microscope power. There is a difference vender to vender some I would not consider using with rough finish on the bushing side.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration