Repop speedometer cable housing question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Repop speedometer cable housing question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 07:51 am:

Can you use the original chain links with the repop housing? Seems like original housings have a steel inner lining the chain links run in, no mention of that being in the new ones. I know they sell a modern cable kit for them but I don't usually care to use new "improved" parts. I guess the outside housing would be ok but I'd rather use the stock internals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By stuart clipson on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 09:21 am:

you can use repop housing but must be aware that the chain could become disengaged by having too much clearance. i put a nylon tube inside the repop housing to give the proper clearance for the chain. note also the repop housing is smaller in o.d. than the original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Cory-
I used reproduction ends on my original speedometer flexible shaft. As Stuart says, there needs to be a bushing made and inserted so that the drive ends have the proper fit.

I made mine out of brass:

Here is the end without the bushing:

Here it is with the bushing in place:

Here is a cutaway diagram of the flexible shaft and chain:

I also re-shaped the end of the knurl to make it look right for my 1911. Here is the reproduction end, the end I modified, and an original:

For your 1914 I believe the drive end would have the hex nut and the speedometer end has the knurl.

If the original chain won't work with the reproduction flexible shaft, for $50 more you can get the cable that is designed to go in it.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By W. Austen on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

" REPOP" sounds like a bad batch of popcorn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

OK, thanks. Now I've got a better idea. I'm not in a hurry, been driving 20 years without one, but I got a speedometer head, a wheel gear and a swivel so if I can come across the rest eventually then I'll know. And I never cared for "repop" I think "repro" sounds better but "repop" seems to be used more.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration