U-Joint is it good or bad?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: U-Joint is it good or bad?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 08:56 am:

I took out my U-joint and the back half of the knuckle slides side to side 1/8 of an inch and the front half 1/16 of an inch. The cups fit tight with no twisting movement. Is it good enough for many more miles?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Sounds perfect to me. Once installed this movement will be no problem because the driveshaft and the transmission output shaft supports it against this side movement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Jim, thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

I would check the surface of the u-joint that runs against the bronze bushing that is driven in the driveshaft housing. Sometimes that thrust surface needs dressing up a little dressing up so they are smooth.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration