Sears & Roebuck Tractor - Model T Conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Sears & Roebuck Tractor - Model T Conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 05:42 pm:

Neat!

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_d b_button=on&db_id=649044&exact_match=on&photo_size=lrg&query=retrieval

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

It seems expensive if only to me??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

A bit overpriced by more than half for what it is, but an interesting bare-bones kit

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

am i not thinking correctly, it looks like the tractor would have to run in reverse to go forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Sunday, August 06, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

never mind, i see you just turn the axle upside down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

I guess that's why the tractor convention we saw on the Calgary tour used an internal gear on the wheel. Never thought about it previously. Interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred B on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:58 am:

the problem as i see it, with the internal gear is it would get dirt in the gear teeth. however, i think most used a roller type drive pinion, which wasn't affected as bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

it is amazing what those things will pull. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

I have had a couple and yes they are fun and will really pull. The best thing about this one is that they have removed the cleats or lugs from the rear wheels so the rear wheels can spin and not dig in. I can tell you for a fact that if the rears dig in the pinion will climb the bull gear and being so short the front end will be in the air fast while pulling. If you are on a hard surface with cleats or lugs you really need a good spring seat because being light it will shake the fillings out of your teeth. NEVER try to drive one onto a trailer, that is like being on ice on an incline.

On one of mine I put in a 3 speed aluminum Warford for the under drive to control it and it worked well. I graded the banks of a pond with a spring tooth drag and worked the heck out of it, put ski's on the front and during the winter would go to the woods with a trailer for firewood.

I made up a back blade and plowed the driveway one winter but cars would pull over to watch. I didn't like that and the steering was hard so I got rid of both. A farmall cub on rubber fit my needs much better to plow snow and garden and mow then 2 of them. Now a Ford Golden Jubilee is scary powerful to mow and plow with.

Either the Sears or the Wards was called the "Thrifty Farmer" and the did the work but will work you more than a gym membership. If you really use one as intended they can be extremely dangerous.

Fun little toy that I am glad I had and played with but really don't want another.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:44 pm:

I have never had one but since I collect old tractors I would love to find one.you see a lot of homemade a model tractors down here we call them short dogs they are cool. We don't get much snow here but I do have a snowplow for my 140 farmall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Sears was the "Thrifty Farmer." I use wood runners on my flatbed and mine loads fine.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration