FJ - Solar Eclipse August 21st - Anyone Got Plans ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Solar Eclipse August 21st - Anyone Got Plans ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 09:53 am:

I might be in the path of the full eclipse on August 21st.

If so - I will take time for the moment ......

I think it would be a great opportunity to take some interesting pictures - perhaps a few of your Model T ......

Anyone else in the T Community have plans to observe ?

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:19 pm:

I'm a little out of the direct path, so I'm thinking of driving up to Nebraska for the day. It looks like Beatrice will be smack dab on the middle of the thing. I doubt that I'll have a T ready to make the trip, so I'll have to go modern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

We're driving up to Carbondale, IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Reckon the eclipse will darken a self darkening welding helmet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Ya know it's just about as simple to use two pieces of sturdy paper, poke a nice round hole in one, hold it between the eclipse and an intact piece of paper and voila...you can see the image of the eclipse plain as day. Done that before. That way there's NO risk to the eyeballs. Helmet or not, I'd take NO chances when it comes to my eyes. You only get one pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Hal,
it will lighten up as the eclipse progresses.

I will be using one in Murphysboro. Illinois that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

The main concern is folks staring at the sun for prolonged periods of time. There is no special "Eclipse Rays" the sun gives off during one. A quick glimpse now and then wont blind you, and during the totality you can look directly at the corona without any worry, but if you watch the whole thing from start to finish without protection- yeah, your going to fry your eyes.
Tim's simple projection lens works pretty well if you can't resist watching the whole eclipse from start to finish .

I just hope it isnt an overcast day!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

The KC Chuggers are heading up to St. Joseph, MO which is directly in the totality path. We have special glasses for everyone. These are special eclipse glasses. They allow 1/1,000 of one percent of the light through. Using a camera obscura, as Tim suggested is good, but if you are going to look at the sun directly, make sure the glasses are ISO approved... and NEVER use sunglasses to view the sun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

Question the safety of a self darkening helmet. More comfortable observing with old stick welding helmet. Or a number 14 welder's glass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

I have one of each George, but thought my wife might like to use one, and me the other. Somewhere, I think I have an extra lens for the regular helmet, leftover from an eclipse back in the 90's, but that was two houses ago. I wouldn't even know here to look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

MINIONS!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 01:08 pm:

I don't have to go to the eclipse since the eclipse is coming to me. My apartment is not on the mid-line of totality but it is in the path for a minute and a half or so. Hope the weather cooperates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

I remember the eclipse in 1984 that hit Virginia and was a lot of fun. Even though it was in May we wish we had jackets to put on because T-shirts were not enough. When it got dark it also cooled down. So, you may also want to pack one.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:22 pm:

I think the whole thing is a ply by the media to get attention. The whole thing shounds shady to me.

Get it? Shady?

I crack myself up.

I'll listen to it on the radio. Oh, the humanity! adies and gentlemen, this is horrible. The sun is being eaten up by the dragon in the sky...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

I'll be taking a little drive up to Jeff City, 30mins 'cause we are just off the track.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Sullivan, Powell WY on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 06:57 pm:

We are near the direct path, so headed to Shoshoni WY before sun up that day. But also going to look at the weather on Friday to see if we have to move NW - SE due to clouds. I tried to get hotel and/or KOA spots in February and already booked solid. I think the crowds will be nuts.

Same lens as you would use with a plasma cutter (14) is what we have been told.

Happened to be at the Smithsonian Air/Space annex at Dulles last month. Big surprise (given the location) they were handing out glasses for free - so everyone in my family brought one home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

I have reserved a room in Warrensburg, MO for the night before. Just try to find a room at any of the "centerline" cities. :-) Then we'll drive the 50 mi. to Marshall, MO the next morning, which is at the centerline of the eclipse swath. I reserved a parking spot (yes, they are selling those) at Angie's Bar & Grille in Marshall for the viewing. And we have some "eclipse glasses" coming in the mail in the next day or two.

I've lived for more than 72 years on this planet and haven't seen one of these things yet, so thought it was time to take advantage of being fairly close.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

I saw the last one here in Oregon, think I will take a nap, yawn! :-) A lot of the viewing area in central Oregon is under high fire watch if there are not fires burning now. We are expecting a huge amount of people coming to the state to see it, traffic could be a nightmare anyway so I will just watch from the edge of the path of totality Here in Portland or will go to Mon and Dads and watch from where I saw it the last time in the Canby area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Well I am going to brave the onslaught and go Madras, OR. I believe we have a Forum member who lives in Madras.

A friend and I are flying to Portland on 8/18 to meet a friend who lives in Vancouver, WA. We are driving to Madras 8/19. We have a campsite just outside of town.

I almost was not going to go. I was hoping for a nice solitary experience, but the media has completely over-hyped this thing. Oh well, totality is supposed to be worth the effort and I have never seen totality before.

We are prepared for three days of survival camping. We are experienced backpackers so I am not concerned in this area. Weather should not be an issue, but I am concerned about fires. Smokey skies are a bit of are impairment but not a deal breaker. A wildfire in or near Madras would be a disaster for the community.

Madras OR is supposed to get over run, 100,000 plus people. I really hope every one behaves and acts civilized.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 05:57 am:

We will probably go out on the deck here to see it.:-) :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Chillingworth on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:42 am:

I'll be driving back to Tulsa from British Columbia Canada during the time of the eclipse. My route takes me through Casper WY which is in the path of totality, so I'm hoping for clear skies. I viewed the total solar eclipse of March 1970 on the east coast back in my college days.

Rich C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:51 am:

I'll be in the dark. But then, I usually am...

BTW, glancing at an eclipse for a split second may be o.k., but consider, without the brightness, your pupil will remain fully dilated and thus wide open to any and all rays coming at you. More akin to going to the ophthalmologist, having your pupils dilated, then looking directly at the sun, except you wont fell the pain... till later!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

I remember a partial solar eclipse visible here in the 1950's.
Under the trees where the sunlight filtered thru the leaves the little spots of light on the ground were crescent shaped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Lefeber on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

I'll be viewing it from my campsite in Nebraska. I got my solar eclipse glasses and a solar filter for my camera a couple of months ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

We had seemingly back to back eclipses in Virginia in 70 and 72. I thought they would be more common but it's a 500 mile haul if we go to this one. If anyone has their T within the total range, I think it would be awesome to get a photo of it and the moon/sun in the same frame.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Solar eclipse viewing glasses are sold at Wal Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, and a lot of other stores. I'm still looking for mine and they keep selling out at the stores around here. Make sure your get the ones that are ISO approved. There are a lot of fake glasses from China that are not approved for looking at the sun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Headed to Nashville.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 02:58 pm:

I intend to go out in the front yard with my bride, and wearing our $1.99 each Lowe's eclipse glasses, look at the clouds that most likely will be covering the sky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

I can't find any glasses either...keep selling out before I get to the store. I'll be taking the bike down near the ohio river to try to stay away from the huge crowds that will be near Carbondale. Even Goreville is booked solid....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick J. Gunter -- Sparta, Missouri, USA on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

It's going to be a 96% eclipse where I live. I think I'll stay out of the traffic and view it from my back yard. The Missouri Highway Patrol have said they don't know what to expect. There could be major traffic problems in the total eclipse zone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Well,

I went thru the tiny town of Chugwater, Wyoming on Sunday.

Things were quiet at the café.

I picked up a pair of two dollar solar eclipse cardboard glasses .....

Things are gonna get crazy - one group of 700 Japanese tourists have reserved a small hill just outside of town - they must be coming up in buses from Cheyenne.

I have been driving Interstate 90 west through Montana - just passed a small tent city east of Missoula.

Freighter Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration