Pedals and slow speed notch 26 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Pedals and slow speed notch 26 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Hello,
i need a opinion about the position of the three pedals in my 26 Roadster.
Are the positions OK or they have to be band more forward?
What do you thing about the cutting in the Floorboard and the Pedal Plates?

Because i need more pressure on my slow speed pedal.

The next thing is the slow speed notch. I think the play is too much inside the clutch pedal support and the slow speed notch.
What is your opinion?

Thanks
Markus

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

They look like mine in my RPU. how much play do you have in the slow speed notch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

With your slow speed band adjusted properly the pedal should stop about 1 inch above the floorboard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

That play is the motion required to release the high speed clutch and go into neutral, without starting to engage low. It is normal and necessary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

I have about 4 inches play from the front of the pedal till the band start the movement.

The pedal hits the floorboard in the farest position. When i remove the floorboard i can press the pedal 1 inch more forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

Well Markus, I think I agree with you now.

I just checked two engines and they vary from 2 3/4" to 3 1/4" movement until the low band starts to take up.

Shipping from US is probably a lengthy and expensive proposition, but the notch and cam can be purchased. Or you can choose to build up the area with weld and file/grind back.

Either way, you will need to remove the transmission cover and drive out a (probably) stubborn pin going through the pedal shaft holding it all in place. Not a terrible job, but something you won't want to do again! Your transmission will thank you, and your low gear will work much better.

As you seem to suspect, you MUST have the low band secure tightly to the drum and not require the floorboards to be removed to accomplish this (there is some chance that the pedal is also bent down through years of aggressive low pedal use, and if so you will want to straighten it up)

Be sure to read/study about taking the transmission cover off before you start. YOU MUST REMOVE THE STARTER BENDIX before you remove the starter to avoid severe damage to the magneto coil. Be sure you understand this before you start. This is all within the ability of most mechanically inclined individuals and you should have no problem...we're here to help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Markus Huether - Germany on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 02:59 pm:

Thanks Scott for your help. I will remove the Hogshead and do the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

You're welcome. Good luck and don't be afraid to come back with questions along the way

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

With the car in neutral you should be able to push the car without the engine turning and you should be able to crank the engine without the car moving. The low band should be tightened until it is completely tight at 1 inch above the floorboard but it is completely loose at the neutral position. If it is partly compressed when you are in neutral you will need to replace the notch and cam.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration