Slightly OT -- License Plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Slightly OT -- License Plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 07, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

This thread is about Arkansas license plates, which could be considered OT but the discussion will be about Model T-era plates. If you are interested in rare Model T-era plates, continue reading this thread. If not, skip on down to some of the more interesting threads about MMO or which motor oil to use. :-)

I've heard (and seen) folks complaining about how expensive a YOM plate from their state would be to put one on their T. Some say that they might have to spend as much as $200 for one.

I'm just mentioning this because there are two 1914 AR plates now at auction on ebay. AR began issuing state plates in 1911. The '11 through '13 plates were porcelain-coated steel and are more durable than the later "tin" ones. In addition to that, if you had a '14 plate on your car and went to the DMV to buy a '15 plate, you had to surrender the '14. The same law applied to the '15 plates. As a result of that, those two years are extremely rare today and the '14 is the more rare of the two.

I've seen only two or three 1915 AR plates sell on ebay, and they went for around $3,000 each. I've never seen one anywhere else. I've seen one 1914 AR plate sell on ebay a few years ago, and it brought $5,200. Its paint was all gone, but it was otherwise undamaged. I saw one in the Museum of Automobiles at Petit Jean several years ago, but it was subsequently stolen. I know of one other which sold a few years ago for $5,000.

What is so interesting about the two now on ebay is that they are a PAIR! They are listed separately, and I hope someone has deep enough pockets to buy them both, so they will remain a pair. The listings tell all about the fellow who collected them many years ago and is now deceased (he stopped collecting about 50 years ago).

Anyway, I have no connection to these auctions other than an interest in AR plates. I just thought there probably are some plate collectors on here who might find this interesting.

Here are the links to the auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Arkansas-License-Plate-Tag-Vintage-Antique-Ford-Che vy-Dodge-Rare-2-of-2/202009839098?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353 .m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1914-Arkansas-License-Plate-Tag-Vintage-Antique-Ford-Che vy-Dodge-Rare-1-of-2/202009786052?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353 .m1438.l2649

Happy bidding! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

Plates value is inverse to the number issued. Massachusetts (my native state) was the first state to issue license plates - starting in 1903; even early Mass. plates are relatively plentiful. I bought a couple of fairly good 1927 MA plates for $20 each. When I moved to Florida with far fewer plates issued and surviving, I had to spring for a bit over $100 for a restorable 1927 Florida plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I'm glad I read it Mike.
Holy moley for pricey!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Glowacki on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Last year I bought two New Jersey plates , 1927 for 10 dollars at a barn sale.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration