I found another Model T forum worth reviewing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I found another Model T forum worth reviewing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:33 am:

I was informed there is a new website related to the Model T. www.modeltfordfix.com

There's a few people posting photos to the forum along with some articles discussing spark plugs, leaded gas, oil viscosity and ZDDP, and other T related questions. I registered for the forum and have been poking around the site. I recognized one name in particular as a former regular poster here.

It's definitely worth a look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:41 am:

A couple of days ago I read the pages on spark plugs and oil. They are well written, and I found some information I didn't already know, so for me it's worth a look. Maybe even several looks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Tom,

You're not running around on the MFTCA Forum are you?

:-) :-) :-) :0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:42 am:

Do they talk about water pumps, MMO, distributors, oil, and putting new air in old tires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:07 am:

Jerry,

Nowhere in the MTFCA charter does it specify a monogamous relationship with them is required. If I recall, you have other cars in your garage and may have cavorted in their forums too.

I can recall people discussing the MTFCI forum until it withered away and I see familiar names on the 'Barn as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Tom,Sorry but i saw it different as it did not wither away,they made it worthless then they did away with it!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:24 pm:

Do they complain about OT posts and ask for threads to be deleted when opinions other than theirs are discussed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

I remember a middle school boy who wanted to start another Model T forum several years ago. That did not go well for him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Tom,

"If I recall, you have other cars in your garage and may have cavorted in their forums too."

Guilty as charged. I have cavorted... Let he who has no other forums cast the first stone.

I must say though, this forum really is the best.

All in good fun Tom. Hope you understand. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Steve,

As I recall, his threats to hack the forum were his undoing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 01:27 pm:

Jerry,

Of course I understand. I could not resist having a go at you as well :-)

(Message edited by tmiller6 on August 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Looks like Royce set it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Vern,

Thought you were teasing but, it does look as if it's Royce's forum.

Tom,

Yes, I peaked... Pretty nice looking forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Think it's great - I miss Royce's postings on here - I learned a lot from them over the years. I joined.

(Message edited by Conversiont on August 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Yep, it's Royce. I suspect one reason for it may be to have a place to post full size photos. He posted a lot of good ones on the MTFCI forum, then it got the ax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 04:43 pm:

I looked at it. It doesn't look like a forum. It looks like an e-book.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

I own a Chevrolet and a Dodge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Bless me Ford Father, for I have sinned.
It has been---- (?) decades since my last confession.
I too, have cavorted amongst other forums as well.
Among them the AACA EFR, HCCA, Paige/Jewett, and most recently a new Maxwell site.

I miss Royce, I wish he had have remained here. I always looked forward to his comments, especially on early car details.
Guess I will have to check out this new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

looks like an excellent site.
nice pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

My guess is that Royce started another forum so he could see his name in print, since he has been banned from this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Wayne,
Say four Hail Mercury's and two Our Falcons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

I have joined and am also now deleting my profile here. Last year was so bad it prompted a warning to be civil. The negativity and berating of other people's work or knowledge is foul. I began frequenting this forum because I love model ts. I enjoy the good people I have met here and hope they go over to a new a fresh format. I do not care how correct someone's car is and do not care what other people's opinion is. I simply want to have fun with model t fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Humboldt, TN on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 06:28 pm:

I too have joined the new forum and will be deleting my profile here after this post. It's a shame the way some people act on here. Their negativity, mocking, and bullying is something I don't need in my life. I do this for fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Yup. David and Dennis right above are gone already. Wowzers.
I like to play like a duck and let that kind of water run off my back. :-)
AKA: I water off a duck's-back it.
I stopped in earlier on their new site today as well. Looks good. Didn't join.
There are holier than thou folk everywhere. :-)
They'll get it up and running in fine fashion very soon.
I do have several questions I'd like to ask you guys here tho.
I better get busy. :-) I have a seat spring question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Well said Dennis. The people you speak are of no use to this hobby, or anyone one else for that matter. Gives them a thrill to hide behind a computer regurgitating childish crap like this posted above. Comments they don't have the spine to make in person....pathetic.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Have a nice trip. Hope it's worth it. Knew he was gone but didn't know he was banned. Is that true?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

I hadn't heard of a ban. Can't say if it's true or not. He hasn't posted for awhile, but he still has a profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:52 am:

As I remember you have to have a profile to post on this forum. I think if you have a profile, you can post. Royce still has a profile therefore I think he can post, even if he chooses not to participate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 01:00 am:

Our Moderator is not the only person here aware of the circumstances surrounding Royce's absence. Dues paying MTFCA members here are entitled to this complete and truthful explanation, and I believe this Moderator owns this duty.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:11 am:

How old are some of you guys ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 06:47 am:

I joined the other forum but and keeping my status here too. There is still lots of good information to be found and I have been able to identify the people who are not helpful and try not to get entangled with their agenda. It's like this in photography forums I subscribe to as well. Suspect it's pretty common ... that human nature thing. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:54 am:

I couldn't get on the new site here from my work computer. Firewall says it's too new to be trusted. I'll sweet talk IT into making an exception.

I never understood why people have to announce they are leaving. You wanna leave? Leave. Good luck to you. I would like to see the new forum as well, and if it is as good as it sounds, I will likely frequent it. That doesn't mean I won't come back here. Of course the ones who do leave can always come back I suppose. However, making some big announcement that you are leaving and then deleting your profile makes you as childish as the ones you complain about. Guess it makes you feel good to have people ooh and ahh over you and try to talk you into staying and also ooh and ahh over your triumphant return when you come back. Takes all kinds I guess.

As far as Chris owing us an explanation....I disagree. It's no one else's business what happened. If Royce wants everyone to know, he will find a way to let everyone know. If he doesn't want everyone to know, he deserves his privacy. You want someone leaking what happened behind closed doors last time you had a private conversation with your boss, or wife, or whatever? Let's have the same respect here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:01 am:

My opinion of Royce is that he wishes to promote accurate and factual information concerning Model Ts and early Ford history. It can be difficult to do this on this Forum. By starting his own site he can control the content and steer it in the direction he wants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:08 am:

Our Forum Moderator made the decision, he performed his duty, based on information and his direct observations..... we have a moderator who is doing his job. He should not have to answer to us for nit-picking his decisions

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:20 am:

Well said Hal...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:36 am:

There was never a "water cooler" where I worked, but when the duties of the job lessened, and we were still required to be at our workstation, we engaged in civil, polite conversation - for knowledge, enlightenment, and frankly, to keep us alert and awake! (Sometimes a quite boring job, occasionally punctuated by moments of stark terror :-) - infrequently, thank goodness.)

The conversation ranged over a multitude of subjects - somehow one thing led to another...much like this thread...started out with an announcement of a new site, then branched off to a criticism of our moderator, then a few words about a former poster.
Now, I am not taking any position as to the "branches" being good or bad, just trying to make a point that this is a MOST interesting Forum...one can begin reading about oil for an engine, and in due time the conversation will turn to water pumps or tires, or maybe even beans in the manifold cooker.

To this humble scribe, this is a most interesting Forum...yes, it does have it's pimples & warts, but doesn't most things human?

Variety in life is rather nice...even Henry thought so...at some point he allowed colors other than black to be applied to his products!

Please guys (& gals) - this is a nice Forum...we have lost numerous valuable posters - some to the end of their lives - some because they have been ridiculed "to death". It truly is a shame to post words in such a manner that those with knowledge about our machines are "chased away".

May kind words and civility allow this Forum to flourish for many more years.

Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:37 am:

Ok - can we get back to discussing the etimer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Once again the forum drifts. I liked what I saw on the other forum and mentioned it here as an option. It's nice to have options.

I will continue to read and post here.

I will continue to look at the new site which is the subject of this post.

I probably will continue not to read Ford Barn for Model T because in my opinion, MTFCA is much better.

I will read Ford Barn for Model A and V8 related stuff.

I also hope my grandchildren will read these forums someday while trying to figure out how to fix the cars they inherited from me. While they're reading, I hope they see the love we share for our cars and not the disagreements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:14 am:

I signed up but haven't figured out how to read the posts yet, There seems to be no classifieds which is a great part of this site. It seems very tightly controlled which may make it less interesting because of less variety in subject matter. All in all, a welcome alternative and source of information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:23 am:

The site is a little "different" to navigate, but it does have a page for classifieds . . . And speedsters !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:25 am:

I like what Hal said and the part about kind words and civility Dave said which i need to use more.I think Henry only added colors when he was having trouble selling black cars? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 09:30 am:

Another great site that looks to be pretty sharp in my book. With that said the MTFCA site is good also. That's why I belong to the MTFCA.

Its good to see very knowledgeable people creating a good T site.

This can only create more interest in Model T's.

This is a great site and Chris does a great job doing it. But I have a feeling that Royce's site is going to pretty good also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:41 am:

HAL HAS IT SPOT ON!!!!!
I joined the new Forum and just posted several topics that I will add to over time.

I highly encourage those regular posters here to join this new Forum just like the old days when most here were members of the MTFCI forum and this Forum. If one goes down you have the other one to stay in touch with fellow Forum members.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Baker on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Nice site he has set up. I just joined, the constant bickering in this forum has really gotten old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:08 am:

Bob and Hal: Respectfully disagree with your comments here. If there are criteria that result in any paying member being removed from this Forum by the site, then those requirements need to be made unambiguous to all affected.

Members are entitled and should be encouraged to call out defective vendor products/services, where the clear and credible explanation of such a complaint is adequately supported. Such an event was apparently at the root of Royce's departure. If accurate then this implies that advertising dollars trumped vendor product integrity here, where the site agreed to obstruct this accountability. Allow advertisers to control Forum content, then I would argue that it is they who own MTFCA, not the membership.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:28 am:

Rules of Engagement (Posting) (from the top of the Forum Page):

Posts should be related to the Model T. Post for the good of the hobby.

Off Topic - OT - posts are allowed but should still be hobby related. Political posts and posts insulting other posters will be removed. This is going to be more closely monitored this year

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I expect folks who have trouble resizing and posting photos here will like the phpBB format, where resizing is automatic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Scott,

Paying members do not automatically give up their right to privacy by virtue of their belonging to our club.

There is no need or right on our part to demand or expect that some rumored and alleged private conversation between Royce & Chris be made known to all. For what purpose? To embarrass Royce?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

NOTICE ---- NOTICE

I have had enough of this fun so I am leaving the forum!

I know that some of you don't care, some will be happy, and others will be sad, but I've made up my mind therefore I am leaving!

I will be back later this afternoon! ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

NO, FRED! DON'T DO IT! You have such great input. Don't let the behavior of just a few rob the rest of us of your great posts, depth of knowledge and sense of humor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:42 pm:

I think what alot of people forget is that no matter where it is, we are privileged to have free websites to enjoy our hobby and share. These are not free to run. I am willing to bet if you had to pay a subscription, you'd weed out alot of people fast.

I am a product of the age and enjoy many forums. I will sign up for the other also, but I'm not running out or away in a childish manner. This is what got me started in T's. I don't, and won't forget that.

Having seen many forums of the Mopar variety come and go over the years, and how people get butt hurt and feel the need to go off and start their own, that is their poragative. Good for them if they can maintain it and keep it running and active enough to capture the interest of other, and spend the time moderating it and keeping it up and running with paying the bills. It can be a full time job.

I really wish people would learn to ignore those they don't like, or topics they don't like. I don't post much, but thanks to my local club and others interested here in T's, I finally have mine on the road after 12 long years.

Thank you for this and other Ford websites past and present, and thank you for all that have a common interests in the lowly Ford Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

This has nothing to do with the topic necessarily, but something I have noted over time.

One thing that also seems to be a common theme is bad products. It's too bad there can't be a review section on products. Reviews could be proofread before they are actually posted.

If the makers of said part don't like the review, in my opinion they should learn and make it better. As Larry Smith's says, why make it if you can make it correctly. There are some useful aftermarket parts that get great reviews, are they for everyone, no. But just because they are non Ford items doesn't mean they should be chastised. A particularly wonderful working brake switch comes to mind here.

I use reviews on other sites, and it has helped in alot of cases to make a sound purchase.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 01:07 pm:

FYI,

If you are an MTFCA dues paying member - your dues help fund the operation of this forum.

You don't have to be a dues paying member to register & post on the MTFCA Forum or in the MTFCA Classifieds.

There are many more unregistered than registered forum viewers who visit the forum(s) each day.

There are many more registered forum members who are not MTFCA members than there are dues paying members.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

I signed on to it also, and posted to an Oil question. Thought I'd throw in a couple of pennies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Scott Rosenthal : I agree that some forum suppliers have their own "buddy" support system on the Forum...hopefully the membership can recognize that action.

On our trip to the Museum in June, we admired your car.... thanks.

We stayed with friends in Maineville, Ohio,,,, I would have appreciated meeting you. Maybe next time.

Agree that the club belongs to the membership, not the advertisers.

Commenting on my post is appreciated, I stand by my position .

Respectfully,
Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Hello Jerry:
Nobody's privacy is treaded on here. Royce and I discussed these posts. If Chris has a privacy concern, then lets let Chris say so.

A respected member was banned for allegedly violating the Forum code of conduct, where every person here had access to all that was posted... nothing private about it.

My question is where is the egregious act here, and if agreed there was none, then yes Sir, this membership is absolutely entitled to a full explanation?

Embarrass the man indeed. Looks like this is exactly what happened...disgraceful.

Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

I joined the new forum not that I have a problem with this one. I am very thankful for all the help you guys have gave me to get our 16 going and I am still learning so the more info the better!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

The more forums there are on Model Ts, the better off I'll be.

I have a lot to learn, and a lot to contribute. Thanks to everybody who participates to the betterment of our community and the future of our hobby.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

I see it more like your co-worker who gets called into the boss's (And/or HR) office to answer allegations that some other employee lodged a complaint against them. The discussion and any resulting consequences are NOT typically published on the company bulletin board. If that employee wants to tell his/her co-workers what happened, then he/she can do that. The boss's (And/or HR Director's) silence on the matter is a sign of their integrity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

Well it's becoming pretty obvious that something happened "behind the curtain". Just wondered why he disappeared. As to combatitive posters I'll admit, concerning certain items, he was the most vocal. On the other hand when he was good he was very good. I'll most likely bounce in and out but I'm not signing up any time soon. Frankly I don't need another Forum + there's a cloud over it as far as I'm concerned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

Scott,

I think that both you and I misunderstand each other to some extent. I was speaking towards, and in defense of, Royce's privacy as to why he's no longer here. I was not concerned about Chris's issues in that regard. I've met both Royce & Chris in person and hold both in the highest esteem.

Can you, with 100% certainty, say that he was "banned". I'm not challenging you here, I just recall many times in the past where it was assumed that an individual got banned and it turned out to not be the case, but instead just assumptions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:39 pm:

I remember (with great respect) a small engine engineer who contributed a great deal of interesting information to this Forum years ago....was ridiculed to the point he no longer posts...not sure if he even bothers to read it anymore.

Then, too, there's an very interesting retired school teacher in the North Country who repairs carburetors when he's not farming....who occasionally gets "fed up" with the bickering here and leaves ...thankfully, only for awhile - he must have acquired thick skin from his cattle, cause he always (so far) returns with some more great information and advice.

Oh there are many others of great knowledge who get "fed up" with the noise of bickering. Utopia this is not...but it's still a great place to learn about the "old" metal!

Golden Rule, anyone????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

I know of a couple of VERY knowledgeable folks on here who seldom post anymore, not due to being fed up with the "Bickering", but being fed up with others who think they know more than they do and spout misinformation.

On another note, I got IT to let me past the firewall, but I still can't get on the website through the link at the top of this page. I'm gonna try it from home first, then I'll get IT involved again. Don't want to use up all my favors with them.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Interesting. Many points, very interesting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

David Walker nailed it in my opinion. Bravo!

"The more forums there are on Model Ts, the better off I'll be.

I have a lot to learn, and a lot to contribute. Thanks to everybody who participates to the betterment of our community and the future of our hobby."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Mann on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

First they attack the guy for calling his car restoration " correct" . Now they attack a person thats not even taking part in the forum . The garbage moved from there to here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

Jerry:
I was informed what I have related first hand. You should discuss this with him directly, and then report what percent of sure you are. I've known Royce for a number of years. He's got a sense of humor all right, but not one to exaggerate.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coleman-Grand Marais MN/Detroit MI on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I have gotten a great deal of useful information on this forum (as well as a few snarky responses). I will continue to use it because it has real value. BUT, it is really old school forum software that is not overly friendly and the search engine is slow as can be. (I know because I run several websites that all need upgrading to current technology; but the work and inertia to do so is large so it isn't happening very quickly.)

But I will also follow the new website, and some of the FaceBook stuff as well.

Always something to learn or share.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Scott,

Good enough.

Happy touring to you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

I like this forum. I've been here for awhile. I've never enjoyed the bickering though I'm as bad as the worst. I've made some pretty good friends here. I've also turned people away from me because I said something they thought I shouldn't have. But this has been a place for me to come to for years for great photos, Model t information, opinions that I liked and opinions I haven't. I've gotten my undies in a bind a few times and I've caused others to take offense. But I've kept coming back here because it's become a place I like to be. I'll probably stick around for awhile. And, I'll go check out the new place too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I signed up.

I had a thread going with period photos of Gow Jobs on the MTFCI site, but that is no longer running. I will eventually start a new one on Royce's site.

That forum format works better for that type of "all in one place" photo collections.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:54 am:

I signed up last night from home. Still can't get on from work. I didn't have a lot of time to spend on there, but from what I saw, I think it's gonna be a good site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:58 am:

Derek, Your right the new forums format works much better for compiling photo collections or to keep adding to a single topic all in the same location.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:28 am:

I just tried to post a test photo over there and got this error: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached". Maybe it needs a little tweeking still.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Steve, I probably broke it by posting to many photos in a row. They are working on the issue as I write this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:50 am:

Oh, so its YOUR fault - Lol ;-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:08 am:

The site has Geo-Blocking, they should remove that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:09 pm:

Oh my...Royce is no longer here. Whether it was by Royce choice, or by mutual agreement with the forum admin is a matter between Royce and whoever! I am thankful for the link as I will register there, but really? Delete my profile here? I don't think so!

Royce and a few others tried to suggest that the MTFCI new forum software was really good...not seeking mass migration, just it was organized by topics...and let someone post as many pictures as they wanted, of any size resolution. That forum died a relatively quick death for a whole host of reasons.

Royce is the one paying for the new domain...Royce can then be "Editor in Chief" which might be an oxymoron, or an ambiguity, yet will be no doubt fun!!! Royce knows me well enough to know I say that with all due respect. Wishing him success with this endeavor, I'll be over there too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

I have no idea if he would, but he COULD be selective with who is allowed on. I can think of some who I would NOT allow if I were king. 'Course, they feel the same about me...........And that's alright, too.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Royce's Forum Rules would be difficult for a saint.

"
Model T Ford Fix - Registration

By accessing “Model T Ford Fix” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Model T Ford Fix”, “https://modeltfordfix.com/forum”), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Model T Ford Fix”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Model T Ford Fix” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Limited”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “GNU General Public License v2” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions; phpBB Limited is not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: https://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Model T Ford Fix” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Model T Ford Fix” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Model T Ford Fix” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromise. "

Sounds to me he hasn't gotten over our Moderator's decision to "deport" him from the MTFCA Forum.

Just my opinion.

Bob Jablonski

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:36 pm:

His forum, his rules,hope it works for him but after a first glance I'm in no rush to join. I rather like it here. While he's a treasure trove of knowledge, I can't say that I miss him but I don't wish him any ill will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

"...threatening, sexually-orientated or any other ..."

I'm going to assume he means "oriented." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:07 pm:

Are those rules really that much different than here?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Dick, I'm told orientated is a Britishism, a back-formation from orientation. I have heard it a few times on the Beeb, and I must confess it grates on my American ears. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

I won't bring up oriention but here's a good article. http://writingexplained.org/oriented-vs-orientated-difference

Summary

While there isn’t a functional difference between these words, there is clear winner in the orientated vs. oriented debate.

Oriented is much more widely used and is strongly preferred.

Orientated is not incorrect but is widely shunned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

It always strikes me the same way "preventative" does. I figure that preventative measures are the things one does to preventate something from happening.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:51 pm:

Looks like picture posting is back up on the new site since I was just now able to post photos to the Model T Accessory Timer thread I started yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Burg on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Thanks Jay, I have missed your "accessory" pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

I created the forum at 1954Ford.com in 2008 and have managed it ever since.

We've had very little drama there.

Our rule is that this old car stuff should be fun..not a chore.

There's so much in this world to fret about and so much negativity. Anyone bringing that to the forum is removed.

In nearly ten years, I've had to do that exactly once.

I really don't understand going onto something as wonderful and happy as an old car forum and saying something negative.

I hope this forum succeeds. I hope Royce's succeeds.

I've seen real unhappiness up close in war torn countries and there's nothing related to old cars that merits any of us being ugly to one another.

I wish the very best to all of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

I lied! Sorry my lying was not on purpose.

I said that I was leaving the forum but would return the same afternoon. Unfortunately a bunch of things got in the way and it took a few days for me to return.
Now that I am back I can't remember why I left.
But since I am on the political right I can't stay left.

Being on the right has fantastic advantages.

For example
Right is not wrong.
I live on the right coast not wrong coast!
I use my right hand more than the wrong hand.
I loved visiting the Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton - it is not the Wrong Paterson base.
I drive on the right side of the road not the wrong side.
I write letters I don't wrong letters.

Did I mention that I am not always right?
I was wrong once!
Yep - I thought I was wrong but I was right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

The one on the right was in the middle and the one on the left was on the right!
Sing it if you know it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:00 pm:

Fred, I'm so glad you're back. I've really missed your posts. Please don't let other's negativity drive you away again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

Several years ago when my #3 Son was still in the USAF, we took a very nice trip to Japan (where they drive on the left side of the road) to visit my son and his Japanese wife.

With the end of our visit approaching, I made the comment that we would soon be returning home to the Pacific Northwest, where we would be again, driving in the right lane.

Japanese daughter-in-law repeated that yes,.... we would be back home, driving in the "light rain".

We were both light,...er,....ahh,....I mean we were both right!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:39 pm:

Dallas,Burned his drivers license!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:53 pm:

Thts it Bud! I am too young to know that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:18 pm:

We do not ban people without direction from the president, CEO, officers & directors of the MTFCA.

If you would like more information you can phone one of them.

I happily & freely give my time as my contribution to the hobby.

Just doing my part
Chris Brancaccio
Webmaster & Forum Moderator

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:41 am:

Thank you Chris, we can put the past behind us and go forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:54 am:

Chris ... I appreciate the job you do with this forum. It's a very difficult job. I teach photography workshops for a living. These are expensive and attended by adults. The hardest part of my job is making sure that everyone plays nicely with each other. There is always at least one person who requires special handling. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration