It's starting to look like a car. (Rich's '14)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: It's starting to look like a car. (Rich's '14)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 07:31 pm:

The '14 is coming along. I have been doing some test drives. Many of the parts in this car were rejects beyond repair but yet saved from the scrap yard and assembled here. since I have never acquired a "Barn find, I built this to look like one.

Some of you may recall these early views of it:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/717971.html?1485514102

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/484102.html?1413986654

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/480687.html?1411349997

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I should mention I know the hood and front fenders are 1915. I will change them eventually. The Wheels are also wrong being 30 x 31/2 all around and square felloe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

It looks like a car that has lived a long and hard life!
Perfect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

For heaven's sake. That's wonderful!
Hehe, some of your reject parts are nicer than my good stuff. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

Wow! That really came together!

It looks like it's been together for years.

What are your plans for the upholstery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Nice Item. Looks like the Lee car a friend of mine, Maurice Bush bought back in Georgia about 1965. Worn almost all the way out but had original top complete with generations of Wasp nests. Everyone seemed to be restoring or fixing up Ts then. Lee car had bigger crowds and more horn blowing. You did yourself proud with that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Very nice! Certainly looks like it has been around awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:36 pm:

What a car! Richard you are a true craftsman. Very nice pile of scrap metal. How do you find time for that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Thanks. It has been fun to do it this way.
Ed, I have some leather seat backs from another car (not Ford) that I hope will work. The leather is old and stiff but it should soften with some work. The cushions I will make. I have a full set of new springs for it.
Although this is not a serious restoration I tried to make it an accurate '14. The frame and body panels are from one car and as many parts as I could find are the correct.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

It looks great, Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

Very nice done Richard! And congratulation it's look pretty cool!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Dallas, it has been my main project for 3 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Whew!!! Richard, I feel better about my cab rebuild now. That touring will be a blast to run around in. Keep us posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:37 pm:

Rich, Very nice!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:58 pm:

I love it! Wherever you drive that car it will be the center of attention. It looks GREAT!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 06:12 am:

You have got my vote for a Nobel Prize in Automobile Fixen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 06:54 am:

Great car! So Rich when are you going to put it on canvas? Does being an artist help with resurrecting rusty panels, or does resurrecting old panels help the artist?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:34 am:

black baloon thumbs up
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Rich, This would make a great cover picture on a calendar... (hint). :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Very nice work

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

G. R. I think that paintings of cars "as found" made me want to build one. It is a little tricky to make new parts look old. When I "restored" my '15 Runabout it took a year of concentrated effort. This 3 year project had a few interruptions but probably more hours than the '15. Many parts were taken to bare metal, painted and then toned down with dirt and rust added.
I'm not sure this made sense but was very enjoyable work after having built enough shiny cars.
Rich

(Message edited by rich eagle on August 09, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Rich - I would think that the extensive response to your post here and the pictures would indicate that it made a lot of sense! I think it looks great, and what satisfaction will come from driving and showing this "old but new" car! I'm thinking that this car will become a "favorite" of yours, and unknowing people will wonder why! Cool!!!! (:^) harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

LOVE IT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Here are a few more reports of progress I made along the way:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/763987.html?1498924884

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/750647.html?1493815147

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/689945.html?1479056738

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/585798.html?1447552041

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/490456.html?1414934690

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Today I installed my license plate bracket. I found 3 of them hooked together at Gracie's in Dillon, Mt. many years ago. She told me it was part of a clothes rack. The way they pivoted on the posts I could see why she thought that. It has rust and faded paint which match the car without any additional attention.

I made latches for this car with handles that look like correct latch handles but in fact are later latches so as not to use up the rare '15's. One change that may confuse the next owner. Also shown are six bullet holes I closed and shrunk flat. I wouldn't have tried this on a better restoration but it did turn out better than I expected.

This is a close up of some of the artificial "patina". There is a good coating of paint under the dirt and rust.

The lamp parts required some straightening, soldering and patching which doesn't show if you get far enough away. Perhaps this shows that I used less than good parts.

The reflector is broken but still works to some degree.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:12 pm:

Really nice looking work! -Bringing a car back like that is a wonderful thing to do—for those like you who have the ability.

Y'know, I kinda like the look of the louvered hood. -Well, when you get the purist-approved hood, you can switch them back and forth as you please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

I don't have a "barn find" either so my 1915 was built to "sort of" look like one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

John, that is a great looking '15. I like that bed on it. I'll bet it comes in handy.

This illustrates the "Coat Rack" use of the license plate bracket.

The bracket was made by Diamond Edge, Shapleigh Hardware Co. St Louis. It has an Aug 2, 1912 patent.

Have fun. I'm headed to Cody to help with a VMCCA Tour. I'll talk to you after the Eclipse.

Rich

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration