Stormberg OF vs Holley NH straight through carburetor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stormberg OF vs Holley NH straight through carburetor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alex Dragone on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

I am currently putting a Stromberg OF carb on my 1911 Torpedo. I have a Holley NH straight through on my 1915 and it is fantastic. Anyone have experience with both? If so which one is better or are they similar? Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert - Granby ,CT on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

OF all day long unless you have dual 81's like I am putting on the roadster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Tuesday, August 08, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

I have a Home Made NH Straight Through and been running it for over five years.
I put a golden OF on and I didn't think it performed as well.

It now sits on my bench.
Some day I will give it a second chance.

My vote is for a Straight Through NH.

BE_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:04 am:

IMHO, the Stromberg OF is without question far superior to any stock "Ford" carburetor (Holley,Kingston etc.) I ran "straight through" Holleys on my previous three Ts and was quite satisfied until I heard Stan Howe's claim about the Strombergs and he was right. Whereas the Holleys are basically a wick in a puddle of gasoline, the Stromberg is a multi circuit real carburetor that will make your T run smoother at all speeds while using less fuel and requiring no mixing adjustments while driving. I have several RF Strombergs but never tried one yet and I've tried a RF that is every bit as good as the OF if you can get the idle jet performing properly. The OF is in my mind the best of the three models as it's all brass and relatively simple and basic to rebuild with slight modifications. I have several rebuilt Stromberg OFs as well as several rebuilt Holley straight throughs , but will probably never switch back from the Stromberg. If your OF is properly rebuilt, I'm betting that you won't switch back either. Good luck, Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:24 am:

I vote OF but understand they are pricey
Someday i hit the lotto and beable get one

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:14 am:

Please see my later post headed "carburettor choice"
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I ran a Simmons (straight through) on my roadster for several years. It ran real good. I put a OF on it and it runs much better! Better mileage, better hill climbing, better top end. I like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 11:07 am:

I like Schebler or Marvel carbs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

OF on mine. Love it

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration