Carburetorof choice.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carburetorof choice.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:53 am:

In all my years of T ownership I have never run a Kingston carb. It may be a Canadian thing, but they are fewer on the ground here.
That said, I have never had a problem with any of the Holleys I have used, from the H1 on my 12 model through to the collection of NH's on the later cars.

Given availability, which do you prefer, a Holley or its period equivalent Kingston, leaving out the earlier brands on the really early cars?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Trevan - Australia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 04:50 am:

I find a straight through venturi NH is best when used with a starter motor-[it helps get the needed airflow through the venturi for starting].
I find a Kingstone with a diverter butterfly is best with crank start engine-As it diverts the air over the fuel puddle ].

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:55 am:

I'll be the third Aussie to go with the Holley NH
I use them on all three of our Model T's. The straight thru NH
with 5/16" fuel line was the item that cured poor performing engines in the 1926 and 1927.

Items like a Z Cylinder head, electronic truefire ignition and various timer styles had no effect.

I now go up a local hill in top gear (and accelerating) where as before I was forced back to low.

NH Straight thru for me, simple carburettor too

Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I run a Kingston 4 ball on my '14 and swayback NHs on both of my '23's. I have also run a '15 with a G and will probably put one on my '20 when I finish restoring the car. Each of these carbs has performed well; started easily on the mag and had good high and low speed power. This won't help you much but I've been very happy with all of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

I've run Kingston L, Holley G, and NH... all on my 1915 touring. The Holley G out-pulls them all on the mountains, by far. I then took the Holley S off my 13 and put a G on that. No difference in pulling power, but the G starts WAY easier. If it weren't for the fact I have two 20's era cars, I'd throw my NH's in the trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Mine is a Stromberg OF, I love it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I run Holley NH carbs on all of mine. They crank and run perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 02:26 am:

Mine is a brass bodied Kingston L-4...once set you never have to fiddle with them again...not probably the most efficient, but it is the most trouble free carburetor I've ever found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:10 am:

I run Holly S, Holly G, Brass L-4 and NH. They all run well. I have run the G and L4 on my 14, the only difference I have noticed is the L4 starts better cold. Of course how the rest of the engine is set up will have a bearing on the performance.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration