Testing of Magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Testing of Magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:41 am:

Dear All,

I have a 1915 Ford Model and the moment I use to start the car (using a 12V battery) and move the key to Magneto (from BAT) the car use to stop. I am now in the process of doing up the Motor by putting brand new piston, rings, gaskets etc.

How can I test if my Magneto is working well or not? What are the likely areas I need to test to know if it is functioning well or not?

I am based out of India and have little expertise and knowledge out here hence need help.

Cheers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:49 am:

To test a magneto please consider starting with this site.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/MAGNETO_TEST-760271.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Is there a way to test the magneto with out starting the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Steve/Sid,

I suppose you could apply a low voltage, (or maybe I should say, low amperage, NOT a car battery), to the coil ring body & terminal post. Using a piece of steel, try each pole piece to see if there's a magnetic attraction. If there's none, it's an open coil, i.e. no good. If there is only attraction for the first several poles, but not all, it's shorted, i.e. no good. If you get attraction at all pole pieces, maybe it's o.k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I've done what Jerry suggests. It will pretty much prove the integrity of the magneto coil ring. However, it does not ensure your magneto will work. There's more to the system than just the ring. You have to have magnets with a good charge. You have to have the good magnets set in close proximity to the coil ring. They all have to be close to the same height and same gap from the coil ring. It's a system, not just components. They have to operate together as a system. Knowing all the components are good and knowing that it is set up right, will result in a good magneto. However, if you are looking to "Test" the magneto, then you're pretty much gonna have to have the engine running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

Thank you Hal. I meant to mention the magnets too... but I forgot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

If you assemble the crankshaft to the block along with flywheel and magnets but without the rods and pistons you can test for correct output just by spinning the bare crankshaft in place. Ideally you would like to have a St. Louis Electric works magneto tester hooked to the magneto output puddle but an AC voltmeter measuring the output voltage with a light bulb for a load would prove out that what you have is functional. Dyke's motor encyclopedia had a section on doing just that - testing the magneto while the engine was out of the car and being cranked by hand. The proper gap can be set at that time too and checked for proper magneto output.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

Sid, I think you will find this website helpful: http://modelt-tips.com/index.html.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration