Model T Ford #1023 Foot Brake

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Ford #1023 Foot Brake
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:52 am:

I want to know if anyone has installed the Model T Ford #1023 Foot Brake Equalizer Assembly. As I am hoping to do this week on my '26 touring. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:33 am:

Yes, I did. It worked OK... not spectacular though. I replaced the normal vendor rear brake linings with ones from McMaster-Carr. They worked better and were less noisy than the regular linings. That being said, the equalizer set-up was marginally better than just using the transmission brake drum alone. In tandem they were OK. I did g to Rocky Mountain brakes this spring and find them much better stopping the car though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:38 pm:

Thank you Kevin, for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Today I started putting the brake pedal back in my '26 touring.

I am not sure this will work, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:02 am:

It should work fine if you can depress it without interference. Once you get the equalizer set up installed per directions, slide under the back of the car to the brake backing plate and pull on the brake rods after throwing the lever into neutral. You will feel some slop until the brake cam engages the shoes. You'll have to tighten the brake rod clevis to take this out...on both sides. But don't make them start engaging the brake shoes themselves. Once the equalizer is all installed an everything hooked up, you will have to use something of a trial and error to adjust the equalizer to engage the rear brakes first before the transmission brake engages when really stomping the pedal. While you are down there, check to make sure your "free neutral" setting on the linkage is correct as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Thanks again Kevin, that sounds like good advice, I will be sure and do that when I get back to working on the installation.
Today, I spent 5 hours getting the brake pedal and Bendix back in the car. If you look closely at the above photo you will notice that the brake pedal is in, but I forgot to put the spring on before I installed the Bendix so I had to do it all over again.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:00 am:

Warren, Thought it was a just a "test fit" for the pedal. You might want to stuff some rags down there to keep parts from falling down in the transmission. I also tighten the brake band with zip ties as it makes it a lot easier to get the spring and shaft installed. Keep us posted how everything turns out. Nice pics too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration