FJ - Trailer Suspension Upgrade For Tandem & Triple Axle Leaf Spring Systems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: FJ - Trailer Suspension Upgrade For Tandem & Triple Axle Leaf Spring Systems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:45 am:

If you build a trailer with tandem or triple axles and choose a leaf spring suspension - get a spread axle design instead of a conventional system using equalizers & shackle straps.

If you have a conventional system - consider upgrading to a Lippert Equa-Flex System:

@ https://www.lci1.com/equa-flex

I just put this system on my triple axle trailer along with new leaf springs & the shackle strap & bolt upgrade kit.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:43 am:

FJ that looks great! Might just have to look into that. My former trailer had the Axo axle system, big rubber "blocks" so to speak instead of springs. I do think it made for a better ride for the car. Back when I was running the school facilities which included the bus fleet, I stared switching to a similar rubber block system on the rear axles instead of conventional springs. The kids really appreciated the smoother ride. They were massive. The blocks, not the kids! LOL :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Thanks Tim,

I got tired of replacing worn out shackle straps & equalizers - hopefully this will last awhile.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:39 pm:

Tim,Are you talking about air ride or air bags? Are most car haulers torsion ride instead of springs? I think car haulers use torsion because of the height diff?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:51 pm:

I have straight axles because it reduces the wheel well height inside the trailer & increases the ground clearance which reduces dragging the rear end of the trailer across low clearance areas.

Torsion axles are not serviceable - you have to replace the axle.

Air bags are pretty expensive - unless you are hauling fragile loads they are not really necessary.

Leaf spring suspension - if designed & installed correctly - is more cost effective to maintain - it can be supplemented with shock absorbers or shock absorbing equalizers.

In my opinion - a spread axle trailer with independently hung axles and no equalizers is the best design for a car hauling trailer.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

I was thinking of using this system but was told it would raise the trailer 2 -3 inches and I didn't want that. What were your results Jim? Thanx, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Don,

If installing this kit increases your trailer height then it also increases clearance - I see that as a side benefit because it would help minimize rear bottoming out.

I think your results will vary depending on several factors:

Leaf spring eye to eye length
Hanger depth
Shackle strap length

I replaced my leaf springs & u-bolts with shorter & heavier springs to help correct the angle of the shackle strap(s) when they are unloaded.

I also used the shorter shackle strap kit to help correct the shackle strap angle.

The correct angle for your unloaded shackle strap(s) is what you see in the images.

The downside:

There were no detailed installation instructions included - I had to research equalizer placement online.

I didn't pay attention to short vs. long shackle strap(s) and had mixed straps when I did the first side.

I got the hang of it by the time I got to the second side.

BTW ....

I purchased my parts at Redneck Trailer Supply but you can get the best deal at e-trailer - just call & make sure the part(s) are in before you place & pay for an order ....

For a tandem axle 3000 to 6000 pound axle trailer:

Equalizer kit @ https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Lippert-Components/LC1594011.html?fe ed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2JeimefK1QIVkFp-Ch0ndAGTEAQYASABEgKF8PD_BwE

Suspension upgrade kit @ https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Suspension/Lippert-Components/LC281285.html

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Well,

Each morning it seems I find a trailer parked next to mine that I can learn from (if only I bother to look) ...

This morning there was a triple axle enclosed trailer - note the angle of the equalizer shackle straps:

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Almost identical to my old shackle strap orientation ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:37 am:

This is what happens when your shackle straps are oriented in a near vertical position ....

This shackle strap is just about to break from being hammered ....

The constant hammering up & down causes the shackle bolts to oval out the softer surrounding metal - that leads to suspension component failure ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, October 27, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Update

There has been wear allowing the suspension components to loosen - I installed washers today on all the equalizer straps.

FJ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration