Play in clutch arms

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Play in clutch arms
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Yeah, I've searched the forums here for forum entries regarding clutch adjustment.
I understand what to change to adjust the clutch, but what wonders me is that I have quite much play in the 3 fingers when the clutch is....released?
I'll expect the fingers should be loose, but it's about 4-5 mm (3/16") messured at the end nearest the axle.
It's at turbo400 clutch and after 1000' of miles it have started to slip. What I am trying to obtain is a couple of month more milage before winterseason and regular overhauling where I will pull the engine and exchange clutch and spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

What I have read in past threads is that you want the clutch adjusted as loose as possible without slipping. This gives you the best chance of achieving a good amount of "neutral" travel in the clutch pedal between low and high.

If your clutch is slipping, try turning each clutch adjustment screw in 1/2 turn and drive the car again. If it still slips, go another 1/2 turn on each screw.

For reference, I have a Jackrabbit clutch in Betsy, and I have driven her 4000 miles so far without the need for a clutch adjustment yet. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Thanks Mark. I think I have had the clutch for 10 years and with an annual milage of 1000+ miles it have had its time and no mystery if it's approaching end of service.
I must say that I do not slam the car in high, but hessitate in neutral and let the engines revs adapt to the right speed.
I'll adjust the clutch tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:15 pm:

The clutch fingers will have nothing to do with your clutch slipping if as you say you have 3/16" clearance (that is a bit excessive) 1/16" is all that is required. Your indicated condition will most likely be with the main spring, collapsed or broken.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration