Locking door on a sedan

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Locking door on a sedan
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

I have two tudor sedans, a '24 and a '25. The '24 has a Yale lock and the '25 has a unknown lock but I have keys for both. I can lock the doors from the outside but the key will only come out when I unlock the doors. Since the key only turns the pin that locks the mechanism in the door what is keeping the lock from staying locked? I do not want to take the panel off the door if possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Open the door and look on the end of the door near the lock. You should see a screw. Take the screw out and the lock should slide right out of the door. You may be able to see what is going on then...good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Releasing the key is a matter of the lock cylinder/tumbler design. It likely may also be a matter of the lock cylinder orientation. Simply turning the cylinder 90 degrees (or maybe 180 degrees) could solve the problem.
It may be difficult to see, but as Don Booth says, a small screw (in the doorjamb area) near the lock cylinder, may allow the cylinder to slide out. Lock cylinders may have been replaced by different types that are more complicated to remove. Note also, I have seen doorjambs painted a little heavily, that the small screw could not be easily seen, but once found, were removed with ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:06 pm:

Great, I was thinking somewhat along that line and will check it out. Thanks for the input, that is what this forum is about.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner lapeer mi on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

Don Booth, private message sent. Les Sumner

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration