"27 steering column (again)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "27 steering column (again)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

I just bought a new-to-me steering column for my '27 touring car. I decided to do a really good job of preparing it for installation. I found to my surprise that the steering gear housing is cast brass. Was this originally painted or was it left in it's natural state?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

John, I believe it was nickel plated. This may well have worn/corroded leaving the brass casting you see.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Wednesday, August 09, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Allan is correct, it was nickel plated. It is a brass casting though. The plating was always thin on those items. The throttle and spark rods were also nickel plated as well from roughly their contact point on the steering gears housing until their flared end. The acorn nut holding the steering wheel spider on was also nickel plated.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration