Speedster Springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster Springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 12:16 am:

The Speedster that I just built has a very rough ride. If I adjust the number of spring leafs, which ones should I take out and how many?
Thank's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:17 am:

Hal, none from the front. I took two back ones out of my full bodied speedster and put one back. It was too bouncy, like slops in a bucket.

Others may differ.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Hal,

I removed a leaf from my rear spring. In short, it made the car dangerous and I nearly got in a bad accident. As Allan says, it makes the car bouncy.

Invest your efforts in better seat springs.

(Maybe if you took out a rear leaf AND used good shock absorbers you might be o.k.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:26 pm:

Thank's!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Archer Hayward, CA. on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

For what it's worth, old # 4 has 7 leaves in the front and 8 in the rear. As for details and facts, they are original tapered leaf springs. The rear springs have been bent near the outer end (See picture) for lowering. Tapered leaf springs are a little springier than the later square leaf. It's still hard riding! About 15 years ago, being tired of the hard riding I removed a leaf. As others have already said It was horrible! At around 70 MPH I was all over the road and hanging on for dear life. I put the leaves back in, adjusted the Hartford shocks and was back to normal. Normal is, at 80+ MPH (if my tires are really round with no high spots)it holds the road well and I feel like I have full control. Hardly anyone else is going to drive there speedster that fast, but I'm just stating some facts.

Ed aka #4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

I agree with Ed A 7 leafs in the front and 8 in the back
I remove #3 sping leaf from the top
I have done 7 on each end but found 6front 7 back
To start the bounch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

Thank's again. I guess I'll put up with the ride...I'm thinking of adding a bag or two of sand??

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration