New trick!!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: New trick!!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:10 am:

This screwdriver,

and this piece of rubber radiator overflow pipe, make a handy combination.

The rubber hose will firmly hold a starter bendix cover screw while the driver is used to screw it home.

I'm not sure how effective this may be on LHD hogshead, but on our RHD covers it makes the job easy. Sure saves having to commit sacrelige fitting metric oddball screws.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:56 am:

slot one hole on the cover, screw the screw in about half way , tip the cover under the screw put the other three in and tighten them all up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:24 am:

Great idea Allan,thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

I will try it.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:20 pm:

Good idea.

I've always held up the screws with a piece of wire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

I like to use an earth magnet on the end of a screw driver. Also works well for holding bolts in sockets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

I used a blob of grease on the end of the screwdriver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 05:21 pm:

Allan

That should work OK, good idea for a rubber hose sleeve.

Today you can purchase these 'split' blade small screwdrivers that allows the scissors like blades to expand holding fast small slotted screws.

The knob is pushed forward to latch onto the screw and then pulled back to release the clamp like blades.

And in the day, these were made just for the Bendix screws, as all the mechanics working on starters know the trouble of placing those dang @*#@* Bendix screws!

My favorite tools for placing and removing Bendix screws. Long thin blade for removal, and for tightening in place, length is handy for good leverage. And the 'split' blade. Also pictured is old time version, but its blade is now worn down and won't work well.

The holding blade is nice for securing the screw, lock washer, and washer too in placement. Use this for placing the Bendix screws, then use the long screwdriver with fixed blade to tighten the screw securely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

I am about to face that task!
Great timing Allan and Will - I will try them out.
Cheers
Adrian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:44 pm:

I have never understood what is so hard about putting this cover back on. But I will be doing it in about a month for the first time while the motor is in the car. I'm sure I will be enlightened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Dan, it is not a horrible job. Put the screw nearest the pedal half way in (or out if removing the cover), slip the cover on, and yes, then the fun begins. The frame rail is equivalent to the pedal on the other side. The top screw isn't to bad, the bottom requires being underneath, but again, not to bad.

But honestly, with Allan's method, it really would be a piece of cake. It is a great tip.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration