ROCKY MOUNTAIN BRAKES

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ROCKY MOUNTAIN BRAKES
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

I want to install rocky mountain brakes on my right hand drive Model T. The manufacturer only makes the linkages for the left hand but said some members have modified the linkages.
Does anyone have a diagram or instructions on modifying a new set for a RH drive car
Thanks
Garry Potter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

If you were using the real thing, you wouldn't have to modify much of anything!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:13 am:

Garry,
The only thing you need to do is change the lever to the pedal on the cross shaft which attaches to the handbrake shaft to the right hand side.

I just cut it off the left side and welded it back on the right. Obviously the brake pedal has to have its extension lever placed on it as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Kelley on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:44 am:

I GAVE AWAY my rocky mountain brakes after I discovered they don't work going backwards (to bad they don't make them mention that in their ads). I love my disc brakes on two T's regardless of the looks. THEY STOP BOTH DIRECTIONS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garry Potter on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:58 pm:

Peter
Thanks for the advice
Garry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Garry,

Here is a photo of my set up, picture worth 1000 words. If you need others PM me and I will sent some.
RM Forum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brendan Hoban on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 04:44 am:

I have a 22 Touring RHD and i found that the Rocky mountain Brake yoke would just not fit.

No amount of grinding-adjustment was going to make it work, the handbrake clutch cam was in the wrong place.

I made a new yoke out of angle, . I have the drawing somewhere if anyone wants it.it works well

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Brendan, have to agree with you the RM brake yoke is poor.

What I did find was that as my T is a 1915 it has a different handbrake cross shaft shape than later ones.

The shaft to the left of the cam stays straight further along before bending down to go around the universal joint / tailshaft. Which means there is ample space to have a good bearing for the yoke to swing on.

The RM yoke ends are also a crude casting and the bent flat steel cap to clamp the HB shaft makes for a terrible bearing.

I made new caps with slippers and machined the yoke so there is a proper bearing around the HB shaft. If it was possible to spin the yoke around the shaft one could get it spinning a few hundred rev's.
You can see the cap at the center bottom of the photo.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration