Roof question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Roof question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

Are the outside roofs if Coupes
Leather? What wound you clean or
Put on it to preserve it
Cheers

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:36 pm:

When I bought my 24 coupe in 1976, the top was in poor condition but it was definitely vinyl.
I installed a new kit, which was vinyl.
About once a year I treat it with Mother Vinyl preservative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Thursday, August 10, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Don't know about coupes Depends what year but my 1911 Town Car was supposed to have Elk Hide for a covering, Elks are a bit scarce here in Australia so I used normal cow hide.

50 plus years later its still as good as new, I treat it with a good leather dressing especially if I have news it will rain on a tour I am going to go on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 12:06 am:

1917 and 1918 Coupelets and 1919 and later coupes had imitation leather tops.

If it is modern replacement material, you can clean it with mild soap and water or mild vinyl cleaner followed with any vinyl dressing you wish. Personally, I would stay away from anything with silicone. (Earlier this week, I cleaned the 60 year old naugahyde upholstery on one of my dad's antique cars with Blue Magic vinyl and leather cleaner from Autozone. Worked very well without hurting the upholstery.)

If it is original leatherette, I would clean it with mild soap and water. My dad had a very low mileage, unrestored 1927 Hupmobile sedan with the original factory leatherette top. He would occasionally apply black Kiwi shoe polish and then buff with a horsehair shoe brush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Great info from everyone.
Thank you again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:36 am:

I have heard there are some new products for old tops since we discussed this last. I have not tried this but it may be one of them FWIW.

https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-301-Automotive-Convertible-Dressing/dp/B0007IMB IO

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:28 am:

Thanks Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:35 am:

Peter - Would Kangaroo hide substitute for Elk?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration