Starter motor switch installation

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Starter motor switch installation
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:19 am:

I didn't take a picture of the starter foot switch assembly before removing it from the 1923 chassis and can't remember how it went. The old switch was in bad condition and I bought another vintage switch to replace it. Now I need to install the switch.

I think it must have originally been riveted to the underside of the frame sharing one rivet from the front running board bracket. Am I correct? Naturally ... last week I hot riveted the running board brackets back on the frame. Was the switch riveted onto the frame at the second hole as well?

Also .. where does the battery to switch cable support attach to the frame?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:47 am:

Mark, here is a photo of the switch and cable holder before I took it all apart on my 23 Runabout. Everything was bolted on...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Hey Tim, thank you so much for this. Don't know how I missed taking this same shot when I took mine apart. Looks like I need to grind off one rivet. :-) Funny we are working on exactly the same year and model. Is yours high or low radiator?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:06 am:

She's a low radiator with a steel firewall. Here's a pic of it when I was pulling it out of a barn in February 2016...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Ha ... mine too. This one was two owners removed from the "barn find" when I bought it. But generally stock. Evidently the hood was stored in a different location. Been working on the chassis since December.

T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:17 am:

Taken a month ago...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Mark, you my wish to consider using the Ford starter switch to operate a solenoid which would then operate the starter motor. Only a suggestion to consider. You've done a really nice job on the restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:12 am:

Mark - the one forward strap IS supposed to be bolted on which is one of the two bolts holding the switch to the frame rail.

Also, there are two starter switches available from most of the vendors - the USA made "tractor" switch is the only one to use IMO - the other is imported and won't hold up to the constant pressure of stepping on it !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Steve, The one I bought is a vintage switch in very good condition.

Jerry, That's not mine that's shown restored ... it's Tim's. The picture of mine on the truck is how I purchased it. I have rebuilt the chassis and drive train so far, but have not put the body back on the chassis yet. I am planning on keeping the body as unrestored as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

This is what mine looks like right now ... I'm days away from running and replacing the body seen behind the chassis in the back yard.

T chassis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

I took this '23 chassis apart back in June. Looks like some were installed above the frame rail as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:58 pm:

Ok so here's the question. Why did they include an extension on the end of the starter button instead of simply making the button longer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

That's an accessory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Is it really an accessory? Because if it is, there is no possible way my original switch would come through the hole in the front seat panel. Heck, it barely comes through the hole with the extension.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

Mark, if it's a low radiator, it's a '23. If it's a high radiator, it's a '24. This one of the old misconceptions that has been around forever and doesn't want to go away. Much like the "commercial" and "car" front fenders. These will probably stay around at least until the vendors correct their catalogs. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:32 pm:

Here's the thread with a photo of my original switch bracket riveted to the frame of my 20.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

Chad, my switch extension barely makes it through the floor as well. It can't be an accessory because the switch would be useless without it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:52 am:

David ... yes .... sorry about that. The whole calendar year vs model year is a little wacky. Just looking for clarity when someone mentions they have a T made in '23 .... such a transitional year.

Tim .. would love to touch base and share pictures of our respective '23 Ts. Can you contact me via email mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:32 am:

Well. I guess I'm wrong, but my '26 roadster does not have the extension and comes up through the floor just nicely. According to the parts book, the extension is for the 19-25 years only.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Ford put the electric start equipment first on the sedan cars, so for the original design switch and later versions; the Plunger Extension (p/n 5015) was available March 1920 for the "necessary length when the switch is used on the touring car, runabout, and coupe." (Service Bulletin, March 1920)

Earlier photo by Layden Butler of the earlier and later foot switches and brackets used by Ford on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:32 am:

Well,, this thread has gotton a little off track, so no one may be interested any longer, but I forgot to add the link to the thread with the image of my riveted to the frame starter switch bracket. Just in case the OP is still interested.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/767267.html?1498524695

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

Why do you consider this going "off-track" ? Your photo shows an "early" frame with the cast r.b. brackets thus no holes to bolt on the starter switch - nice photo by the way of an early starter car frame !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:34 pm:

No offense intended, but I thought the OP was asking how to mount the starter switch to the frame and what holes they went in and I thought the last half of the thread was directed towards accessory or not button extenders.

All related to the switch, but I guess when my computer reads the posts to me it sounded like a fork in the woods was stumbled upon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

David ... yes .... sorry about that. The whole calendar year vs model year is a little wacky. Just looking for clarity when someone mentions they have a T made in '23 .... such a transitional year.

Tim .. would love to touch base and share pictures of our respective '23 Ts. Can you contact me via email mosterman@eastman.org

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:04 pm:

Mark's question and the added replies are on topic. Can't think that this thread is off topic Robert. Your early frame has the riveted bracket, later frames did not.

Only the early frames used that bracket 'riveted' to the frame. The early switch was machine screw fastened to the that bracket.

Ford had several suppliers of that switch, they didn't mfg. it, so designs varied.

Over the years the switch bracket become part of the switch. Those are held by bolts with castle nuts to the frame rail... one of those bolts is longer to also mount the running board pressed steel reinforce bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

Mark, sent you an e-mail...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration