Does this look right to you guys?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Does this look right to you guys?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

I mentioned the bit of oil I found in the dip around my spark plug a few months ago, today I saw this bubbling:

https://youtu.be/v5NwlK5MXGU

Should I be worried?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

IMO, I don't think it's a big problem.

If it bothers you, let the engine cool down completely, then remove the spark plug and wrap its threads with a layer of aluminum foil, then re-install the spark plug.

Never fully tighten a spark plug into a hot cylinder head or you run the risk of having to heat everything back up later to remove it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

That's not a big deal. Fairly common a on a T. It sometimes happens when you rebuild an engine and clean up the threads on the head and so on. Or in other words cleaning them up to good.
Good idea just using a wire spiral brush when cleaning up the plug holes if you think it needs it.

Using foil is a trick that usually works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 05:27 pm:

The T spark plugs are taper threads so just tighten them up to stop the leaking but like Mark said best when cooled down. Snug up all four a bit till your leaking stops. A little at a time it doesn't take much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 05:43 pm:

Will Never seize help ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 06:01 pm:

Sure, instead of oil bubbling, it will be never seize bubbling, big improvement! :-O

foghorn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 08:31 pm:

Mine did it and I tried the aluminum foil. It worked great. No bubbling now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Thanks guys, you've put my mind at rest no end. Bit worried about fragments of tin foil dropping down into the cylinder though, would plumber's PTFE/Teflon tape be OK?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:27 am:

The shell of the spark plug is grounded through the contact of its threads with the cylinder head. Aluminum is conductive, PTFE/Teflon tape is not. The threads might cut through the tape and provide electrical contact, but why take the chance?

Of course, now dozens of folks will post that they have used Teflon tape for decades with no ill effects. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Deke on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Ah, good point - thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I do the Teflon tape all the time. The threads cut thru the tape and ground the plugs as they should. You only need one wrap around the threaded area, not several. Just did one yesterday, she's banging on all 4. I had wrenched down the plugs good and tight but was getting blow by on all 4, added the tape, good to go.

(Message edited by redmodelt on August 12, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

See, I told you!

Thanks for the testimonial, Mark. :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

With all the drama lately, I recall a thread in the distant past that the all purpose solution is Bitumen roofing tar. I believe the poster was Hugh .... Well I guess I forgot his last name.

Tin foil is one of the good solutions in addition to the Teflon single wrap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:32 pm:

John: I miss Hugh too. The good old days. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

Me too :-(

Was fun about putting tar to its proper uses, so little respect for that thick stuff or for Hugh.

That roofing tar is better than Windex for zits too!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration