Carbide generator Question (outlet fitting)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Carbide generator Question (outlet fitting)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

The brass hose fitting on the side of my steel carbide tank has a ball in it. Is this correct or has someone put a tire pump fitting on it?

I have spent several hours going over the great Carbide information here but can't find the outlet fitting discussed.

Thanks in advance.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

Richard
First I can't say if it is original or not.
However I can't see a problem with using it, and maybe a small advantage in that it could prevent a "flash back"into the generator. Consider on start up you have a really volatile mixture until the air is expelled

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Thanks Les. I can't blow much air through it either way so I think I'll take it out. This tank has had many repairs.
Perhaps others will give their views.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

What kind of generator do you have?

The fitting coming out of the side of my generator is an open tube.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:34 am:

It is a Jno Brown steel one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:07 am:

103 years ago mine might have but there is none now and i fail to see the need?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:13 am:

FWIW, Jno. Brown steel generator on my '13 - outlet is a straight tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:41 am:

Much thanks. I will take the ball out and put it in a drawer.
It is so nice to get answers and have the other information the forum has to offer. How did we get by 50 years ago without it?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 12:50 pm:

We made a lot of mistakes ! (But we had fun making 'em !! )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Yes, the 60's and 70's were particularly magical and T's were more fun than a barrel of monkey wrenches. We did find ways to make them run but what a difference knowing more about them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:23 pm:

I'm especially enjoying the prosperity of the last 50+ years of Model T "research" now I have a T again. This forum has been a wonderful source of information, and a great pleasure for me. I'm pretty sure that will continue to be the case !

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration