Grease cup with leather 'gasket'?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Grease cup with leather 'gasket'?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

One of my original (to me) grease cups has what appears to be a leather gasket around the bottom edge of the male threads. I've not see replacements with this little gasket. Was it a transplant from s ometjing else,... and accessory, or original? Seems as though it might actually help keep grease in the cup, and not let grease so easily ooze out from around the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:12 pm:

No, it's not a replacement. That is how they came. I don't know of anyone who markets a replacement...would be quite a trick to replace as they are crimped into place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Bummer... it would be quite an improvement! (At probably 3 times the cost!)

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:33 pm:

Whoa ..... found one close!!! LOL
http://m.ebay.ca/itm/AMERICAN-UNDERSLUNG-GREASE-CUP-ASSEMBLY-1910-TRAVELLER-/351 630611454?hash=item51ded153fe%3Ag%3AjlEAAOSwKtlWmSAr&_trkparms=pageci%253A6cb3c5 a0-7f0e-11e7-aa8b-74dbd180df6d%257Cparentrq%253Ad47d29bb15d0a866dd45f90fffffe12d %257Ciid%253A35

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, August 11, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

FWIW, I can tell you that a couple of times where the leather was just too far gone, I've picked it out and replaced with an o-ring. I was happy with the result and bet you would be, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:38 am:

I'll have to have a close look at some in my parts stash. I was under the impression that the leather was a sealing insert between two parts which are crimped together, rather than a gasket between the fitting and the screw down cap. Perhaps it is both.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:06 am:

Well, having had my interest roused, I found these among my stash.

The one on the left is clearly one piece, with no gasket. The centre on has a separate piece rolled on with the thread still no gasket. The one on the right had a leather gasket, held in place by the upsets formed when the hex was pressed. This one is still just one piece, and the leather was seal between the greaser body and the screw on cap.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration