The painting is progressing nicely!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The painting is progressing nicely!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 12:49 am:

I've shot everything except the body itself; I plan to this weekend (I'm finishing masking the upholstery now).

I had shot the wheels last year, but the primer was a lighter color. I shot the fender, aprons, running boards and hood using DP90LF as a sealer (it's black) and there was a significant difference in the color, so I re-shot the wheels a couple of days ago.

This afternoon I decided to stripe the spokes; they came out pretty good! I used 1/8" tape for 'end guides' of the lines so they're the same length. The striping was done with a Beugler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 04:23 am:

Looks great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Sweet!! Wish I could pin stripe. I tried and it looked like a sea bottom graph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:23 am:

Nice job! I have a Buegler too, once you get used to them, they're pretty nice to use.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:29 am:

Hey Gary can you send some pics of the upholstery masking, id like to see how you did it, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Hi Doug

I was just going to post those! I finished the upholstery masking last night and shot the body this afternoon.

For the masking, I trimmed all of the loose hairs even with the leather, then I worked strips of masking tape up and behind the leather as best I could, folded them over the top, then used a plastic card to make sure everything was tucked in really tight. I then followed it with a wide strip of tape (1 1/2 or 2") all the way around. I had a sheet of 4 mil plastic so I used it, but originally I was going to just use regular painter's plastic. It just needs to be 'paint safe', it doesn't need to be heavy. I measured the plastic all the way along the tack strip, taped that in place, then used a utility knife to trim the length so it didn't quite reach the wood seat frame. That allowed enough space for another strip of wide tape to hold it down. I had no issues at all with masking coming loose when I was spraying.

The paint booth is home made and set up in my garage. I'll tear it down and save everything except the plastic covering. It's been great having good ventilation and a supplied air respirator!

For extra lighting in the booth I have six 50 watt LED flood lights. In my garage I have three 12' rows of LED tube lights, so it's like daylight with everything lit. In two of the pictures I have the flood lights on, and you can see what it looks like when it's outside. IN one picture I turned off the flood lights and you can see how dark it looks; inside it looks almost black.

I shot this with a single stage Nason Ful-Cryl II acrylic enamel using a catalyst and slow reducer. That's a pretty inexpensive paint in today's market. I used almost an entire gallon on the body and panels, and an additional quart on the wheels. For a sealer I used PPG DP90LF. Since I already had a cured finish coat under this I only used it as a sealer, not a base primer (I would have used the Nason sealer and stayed with one paint 'system' if I could have bought it locally; I could not). The DPLF and Ful-Cryl cross-linked fine for me with the slow reducer.

I have a few small 'craters' and paint nibs, mostly on the undersides of the splash aprons and fenders. I have a two stage compressor, filter / drier, then a final stage desicant filter, and I used new, dedicated hoses. I didn't think I needed a 'last resort' filter, but once I put one on my issues went away almost completely. Fortunately I did that for the fender tops and body. I'm going to try and lightly color sand and buff, but i don't want to 'block' the whole thing. The finish is very nice 'as shot' except for the few nibs; I just want to do enough to address that. I'll experiment on the under sides of the panels over the next few days. I need to do that before I stripe the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

I forgot the picture with the light's turned off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:17 pm:

Nice work there, Gary - too bad you didn't live a bit closer !!! I have a brass Chief's Rig that needs to "get Red" !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Wow nice work Gary, you never said what car you have

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:39 pm:

Gary, looking fantastic - going to be a beautiful car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:00 am:

This is my '11 Touring. When I initially restored it I painted it green and had cream striping and Buffalo wheels. I decided to make it [close to] correct. I had Noah Stutzman build my wood wheels. One thing I am doing is removing my '11 engine and running a '15 one with an added starter and Stromberg OF. I'm keeping the original engine and carburetor, but I want to drive the car regularly and I don't want to chance damaging the early engine block. Its quick enough to change if I want to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 10:47 pm:

I've made a lot of progress. Over the past week I've been staining and finishing the dash; it was installed today. I also put 8 gallons in the tank; the gauge is dead on!

Hopefully I'll have it running this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

Wow! -Really nice work!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 12:39 am:

Beautiful!
That tank gauge is fantastic. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, August 31, 2017 - 08:19 am:

Gorgeous touring car

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration