Radiator lacing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Radiator lacing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:40 am:

It appears in the parts store, and descriptions here, that the Howell lacing or should I say the lacing used on a call is used on the radiator shell as well. To weave it in and out of the shell however the square hole where the webbing would go is much smaller than the welt I have.

I would like the looks of leather, better, but I assume that has been hashes out well before I arrived on the scene, and this went material was deemed better.. or, at least less expensive. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Umm... never mind... just me making incorrect assumption that the lacing shoukd fit in the 'square'. I see now the adjacent tabs are bent up/down for the lacing to fit, then pinched somewhat even to lock the lacing in position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:08 am:

It appears you installed "firewall" lacing (wider) which has the grooves for the split rivets - the shell lacing is thinner and fits in the squares - not under the tab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

I have the correct narrow lacing for the shell on my '21 and would like to see some more photos of the correct lacing installed as it should be. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Lacing can be done most anyway, depending on the shell. Some have round holes in the shell, and others have the rectangular slots.

Best way is to measure the center, and place one end UP into the opening at the radiator neck, and the other end going UP in its opening the opposite way. That makes sure you have enough length for the run, and that the lacing goes under the hood notch. You don't want the hood rod into the lacing.

If you have enough length after the run to the bottom of the shell, then trim so that extra length can be folded up under the lacing, for a neater appearance.

Or....
just let that loose end dangle as Ford did :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john f stephens-marcle on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

thanks for the info and pics...this is one of MANY tasks I have yet to complete in trying to bring my first T back to a road worthy condition....I would be lost without all the help from the great people on this club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:33 am:

The shell and the cowl use the same lacing, with the exception of 1926 I think. What Dennis is showing is too wide.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration