Can you straighten an armature on a starter?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can you straighten an armature on a starter?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

I was hoping it would be straight and we could put it back together. Hung it from a drill press and it is definitely not straight. Is it worth trying to straighten it or junk it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Ron P. should chime in here but yes, if it's the shaft that is bent, which they surely can be, a set of "v-blocks" and a mallet with some "love" taps can usually get them true.

A lathe & dial indicator is the best way to check them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

I find that a light press is needed to straighten most. Additionally, many have two different points where they are bent. A lathe and dial indicator is a good place to start, but you might plan on using the steady rest on the lathe if you have one, to truly determine where and by how much it is bent. That's why it's nice to use V blocks as you can support and check along the entire length and ascertain what you're dealing with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

We hung it from a drill. Turned on the drill, and noticed that it was not straight. I will have to have a friend with a lathe check it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthony Bennett on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:08 am:

You can check for straightness with a pair of vee blocks and the saidsame blocks are good for support while you press it straight, gently though, they're easily bent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:54 am:

Yeah I have a bent shaft. Five years ago when pulling the engine I learn remove re key, then Bendix, then starter. In my learning process I bent the shaft.

I detected it being bent first by putting a dial indicator on the starter motor, but this was so bad I could just use a straight edge as seen in the photo.

Then my fix was not successful. I put it in a vise rod down. I keep pulling until it was straight on the straight edge and even the dial indicator was close, but as I turn it in the housings it drags in one area. I believe it would have been better if I had put it shaft up in the vise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

A simple way to check if, I check it in three places out the shaft. A brass hammer and a block of wood works, quicker than a press.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

Bob
Nice tool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 07:19 pm:

Thanks, a piece to trap the small end would a little more user friendly. That way a small pipe could be used to straighten the armature, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 07:56 pm:

You have to determine where the bend starts before you can straighten it. I had a severely bent starter shaft that was a result of my own stupidity, however with determining the exact location of the run out it took about 15 attempt procedures to render it straight ie within .002 - 003

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Bob,
I love how simple your solution is! I might need to make one!

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

My starter is holding up getting my car back together. Was there another jig I saw on the forum for fixing these?

I picked up a Model T era lathe and measured things, the worse spot was 17 thousandths.

I still need to make a jig to fix things. Is there any other designs out there that you can suggest?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 04:03 pm:

I had about 45 thousands off on my starter shaft. Put it between V blocks. I rotated it to place the high side up and gave it a sharp wrap with a lead hammer. Was lucky and that one shot brought it to 5 thousands. Been using that starter every day for two and a half months.

I suspect my method is what a farmer would have done. I was lucky. If you have an arbor press it would probably be easier and more accurate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Saturday, October 28, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

If it a good armature electrically, it is definitely worth straightening, you need a lathe and a dial indicator but they bend easily. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

I was able to mix and match some of my starter parts and finally get starter that seems to work good.

Now I installed in the car and Iím having a hard time getting the Bendix together. What I do if the spring does not line up with the hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matt the Headlight Lens Guy n California on Wednesday, November 01, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

Never mind I figured it out. I was trying to bend the spring rather than just letting the bendix spin :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration