OT - Dating old photos

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - Dating old photos
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:18 pm:

The following article appeared in this weekend's St. Louis Post-Dispatch. The article says that the finder of the photos thinks they are from the 1940s, but I'm not so sure. I can't see a car in any of the street scenes that looks like it is as late as 1940. Obviously, none of the cars are new in the photos, but I would expect at least one new or recent one. I'm guessing pre-war. Anyone familiar with 1930s cars care to offer an opinion?

If you click on the top photo, you can then use the arrows to step through all of them.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/goodwill-camera-reveals-long-lost-photographs -from-s-st-louis/article_5cdb36fc-3218-5aac-93ef-c9f5a011ee7c.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

The one street scene has one auto on the left that may be a 1937 or 38, but could be 1936. The other autos are older. The clothing styles are for mid to late 1930s.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

The fellow is holding what appears to be a Kodak Brownie Reflex camera.

Quick internet search indicates it was introduced in the U.S. in 1940.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

I agree on the cars. I don't see any that look later than about 1938. But not a lot of cars are shown. The clothes and the hair styles (women's hair piled up) could easily be early forties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

The link will not let me open without completing a survey. I don't like that. I think it is a scam.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Norm, the link is the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. It's not a scam and I have never been asked to complete a survey there. Could be your browser.

Try again.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

I always look for a woman of about 20yrs, she'll likely be wearing the latest fashion which you can use to date the photo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

I think those twin boys are Darrel and his brother Darrel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

I think you're mistaken Mike,.....I think that's his other brother Darrel! (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

I tried it again and got the pictures. The cars were from the middle 1930's. One car which was at a distance in one of the pictures looked like perhaps 1930 or 1940 but most looked like mid 1930's. In 1949 the women's skirts took a new look which was very long very tight so probably early 1940s or late 1930's. During WW II they didn't make new cars so it could be early 1940's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

I tried it again and got the pictures. The cars were from the middle 1930's. One car which was at a distance in one of the pictures looked like perhaps 1930 or 1940 but most looked like mid 1930's. In 1949 the women's skirts took a new look which was very long very tight so probably early 1940s or late 1930's. During WW II they didn't make new cars so it could be early 1940's.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Did anybody else notice the house number appearing in pics 8 & 13 ? You can see 4407 stenciled on the porch steps in each pic. I don't know how good a clue that is, but may be something.

I asked my wife to examine the pictures with an eye to the clothing and hair styles. She's really into that sort of thing and sees a lot of details. Her assessment based on Simplicity, Butterick, McCall, & Vogue clothing patterns places the women's clothes between 1947 and 1952. (Dress patterns tend to display the most current styles and usually have publication dates.) The boy's jacket styles fall into the late 40's to early 50's dates as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:44 am:

There is a street address of 4407 Shaw Blvd, St. Louis. Google maps shows a pretty similar looking house to the one shown in pictures #4, 8 & 13. There is a difference in the style of the stoop over the porch, but that could have been altered over the previous 65 years. The brick work and concrete would be more durable, and seem to match up pretty well.

4407 Shaw is near the intersection of Shaw and Newstead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:08 am:

I stand corrected. It's Shaw Place, not Blvd. Will try to post a current Google Street View.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 09:07 am:

Mike Barnes, the man who found the pictures and is trying to track them down, posted this on Facebook overnight:

"Just to follow up on this, I am now in contact with the family, I know the identities of everyone in the photographs. Right now I am respecting the family's privacy and won't name anyone but as soon as they tell me what I can say I will post it."

I guess we just have to wait and see.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration