Fake email from a forum regular

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fake email from a forum regular
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

This morning I received an email with a forum friend's name on it. It said, "I thought you'd be interested in this," followed by a link. The familiar name got it past my scam radar and I clicked the link. Fortunately it was just advertising for a diet supplement that melts away fat. I don't think there was a virus involved. I must say it was very well done. There were several photos of the famous folks allegedly peddling the stuff, and lots of wonderful before & after shots of happy customers who had melted away heaps of the aforementioned fat. The copy was well written, with good spelling and grammar. But the obvious question was: Would the Zuckerbergs, two of the richest people on the planet, be selling a weight-loss scam by email? And, if this was real, wouldn't it have been big news on radio, TV, and in the papers?

Before deleting the email, I went back and looked at the sender. The name was a forum friend, but the address was not his. Interestingly, when I deleted the email it vanished completely. It's not in the trash folder with the other emails I've deleted.

The bottom line is, don't just look at the name. Also inspect the address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:10 pm:

Good advice, Steve. I have found that many of the bogus links have a .uk or .ru at the end of the link address.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

Steve: They have obviously never seen a picture of you in your Bibs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Steve, you're the last person in the world that needs to lose any weight. I should be so lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:00 am:

I fought the battle of the bulge for decades, until five years ago I got fed up with hauling around an overhanging gut and got rid of it. "Going on a diet", as most people conceive of it, is a waste of time, and all the weight loss products are a waste of money. It takes a head adjustment and a permanent change of habits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Had a colon clean out last year----lost twenty pounds-----have not gained it back------wonder what was plugging up the system LOL!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Steve, Iv got a feeling that who ever sent you that e mail they already have the contacts in your address book. You might send a mass e mail and let everybody in your address book know to look out for a scam. Just opening one of those links is enough to get what they need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 09:55 am:

Steve
Contact the email sender and let him know, he has an infected computer that is sending another persons message using the email address's in his computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:19 am:

Ron, The email sender was probably not the actual email sender; just spoofed to appear to be the email sender. Here is an article explaining how it is done and what you can do to protect yourself.

http://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-157 9478914

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:25 am:

One of either the sender or the receiptient has had their email hacked and the contacts hijacked. Usually these come in as "no subject" and the first line is generic like "hi", or " thought you'd be interested in this". and a link. NEVER click on the link. It could be weight loss, ED, or some other sales pitch, or it oculd be a computer hijack link and your computer will be locked up until your wire a ransom fee.

It's the price we pay for using the internet. Run anti spam and secuity software and back up your computer weekly to another drive or CD's. We think we are all pretty "low tech" but imagine if your company was locked up today how much information, photos, emails, etc., could be lost forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:32 am:

I Don't know about the rest of forum folks but I am deleting about forty mails a day. It gets tiresome from the B-S over and over.
This morning five elk were twenty feet from my door when I just let out my small dog----the stupid dog took out for them before I could get her back in. The elk just looked at me and kept on eating. I had been checking mail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill's Auto Works Wakeman, Ohio on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:20 am:

I am seeing more & more of this. The way to stop it would be for everyone to delete your email address books daily, however none of us are going to do that.

I just had one from a close friend who I do not believe has ever sent me an email. She either sends me a message on Facebook or just calls. After I received the email, I did NOT open the attachment, but sent her a message on FB asking if she had sent it. She said no & thanked me for letting her know. She changed her email password & I deleted the email. It may have been just an advertisement or it could have been a terrible virus!
Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James M. Riedy, Sandusky, Ohio on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 05:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:46 am:

I would be a bit concerned that the sender's infected computer might now also infect Steve's computer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roy Stone on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:51 am:

I have been getting phone calls from telemarketers from my local area number even with my friends name & number shown on my phone ID , I click recall & my friend said she had been out working in her yard. (no one near her phone) . I contacted my landline provider and he couldn't explain how that happens as it has several times lately.
It is hard to stay ahead of those make a easy $$ guys .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:16 pm:

Thanks to the digital age, they have programs that can somehow make a "familiar" number show up, causing you to answer it. Gettin so anymore we'll just have to ignore 'em and IF it's someone who we WANT to talk to, they'll have to leave a msg. and we'll call 'em back. More inconvenience. That's the new normal anymore!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:40 pm:

Well here is a good one! You get a call , it show your area code, but you don't answer it, later you call the number and it say this is a none working number or is dis-connected. What I have by my phone near my computer is a "Coaches Whistle" and when I get a live as*hole on the phone (MALE or FEMALe.
E) I blow the whistle as loud as possible, and Usually that causes a dis-connect.

NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 06:15 pm:

I gave up regular intake snacks, bread, soda, beer and sugary drinks including juice. I eat chicken, fish and vegetables daily. The weight fell off, I lost 25 pounds in a few months. I still enjoy an occasional soda, drink wine instead of multiple beers, still eat burgers and fun stuff, but only on occasion. I feel great and have a ton of energy to work on my projects. It was hard giving up the garbage though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration