Looking to pass the torch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Looking to pass the torch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 04:05 pm:

I have recently had a realization that my current storage and time situation cannot allow for two or more project cars at the same time. In a little over a year, I will have to have a fully completed car ready to take to college. In light of the time crunch, I have decided that the most reasonable thing to pass on to somebody else is the Model T. A year from now, I will be heading to college and won't be able to spend
100's of hours designing and assembling a car.

In the last 6 months, I have become very deeply involved in an organization called the Custom and Classic Car Educational Foundation (CCCEF). They awarded me a scholarship for $1500 to attend MacPherson College’s summer automotive Institute, and they have also asked me to step up as the editor of their newsletter. CCCEF is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit group dedicated to advancing the automotive hobby in younger generations. They began in October of 2014 and have now reached a point where they can begin to offer as many as 3 scholarships per year. They have partnered with local auto suppliers as well as numerous independent automotive and metalworking shops to provide internships and more opportunities for the local youth interested in classic automobiles.

My hope is to donate the chassis along with the engine and parts I have collected to CCCEF to serve as a project for the many youth involved. My fellow board members have agreed to allow me to be the director of the project to ensure it stays true to what a speedster should be. When completed, it will be shown at all of the events we attend, driven regularly, and maintained religiously. It will also create interesting content for our newsletters, bringing more donors and local shop owners in to help expand our growing network.

Body fabrication would be supervised by Ron of Ron’s Rods in Kingsville, MD. Ron is an incredibly talented metal shaper and metal worker who has won national awards for his work 4 times. He is currently working on a copper-bodied 1922 Model T speedster for a customer and it is incredible to say the least. I will hold myself personally responsible for ensuring that the car receives the care and attention it needs and that it is not completed and thrown into a garage for the next 25 years.

There is an alternative, however. I would be more than willing to pass the project to another youth my age who shares a similar drive and passion. What would happen to my small parts collection is up in the air, but I can easily sell those for an affordable price to the next caretaker.

Feel free to view CCCEF’s website at savethehobby.org .

James

***Please note- the scholarship is in no way affiliated in my proposed donation. Doug and Dave (President and Vice President) along with all of the board members have both made it clear that the scholarship is a no-strings-attached package.***

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

I'm not sure if I just posted at the wrong time or if everyone is now fuming that I have "thrown in the towel" on this project.

James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I'm not. It's refreshing to see someone try to salvage something worthwhile out of a failed project. I have been in your place before, having bit off more than I could chew, and realizing it's time to pass the torch. I hope everything works out in a positive way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:16 am:

James, I think Mike Bender, myself, and others said at the start of this project all that was expected in return for the parts and work was for you to "pass it on" at some point in your life, when you could. It was meant to "pass it on" probably several years down the line, as extra parts, finances, and learned knowledge allowed you to do so. But since your current position is not allowing you to pursue the project anymore, In my opinion, what you are planning to do is a good "pass it on" option. Sorry it was not meant to be for you, and hope your studies and scholarships work out for you. From what I know of MacPherson College it has a good history of auto related courses.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:24 pm:

Yes. What Donnie said.

McPherson College is a class act, and you will benefit greatly from attending their restoration program. We all wish you the all the best in your future endeavors. After you graduate and get some experience under your belt, I expect that you will be back here offering help to the rest of us. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration