It's Alive ! Finally got the '23 started

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: It's Alive ! Finally got the '23 started
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Installed some new Autolite plugs and set the needle adjustment on the Ford (NH) carb at one full turn and started it by hand cranking. Ran it for about twenty minutes then shut it down. Did this about six times over the course of the afternoon. Finally stopped when the radiator dropped some water.

The rear axle is off the ground and that allowed me to go through different transmission gymnastics. Strange to see the wheels go different directions and then just one go like crazy in high gear.

I took off the transmission cover and removed metal sticking to the two magnets I have in there and looked at the drums and Kevlar bands. Tightened the bands a little ... keeping my eye on them because they were so tight when I originally installed them. Need to feel confident that everything is "right" before I put the body back on the chassis. But for the time being ... it's nice to have a running engine on this car for the first time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Congratulations!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

THREE CHEERS FOR YOU MARK-- BEEN THERE BEFORE --SO I KNOW THE FEELING

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:39 pm:

Nicely done...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

Congrats! Sounds like a great day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

You have been working hard on this car. Congratulations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Mark, I well remember the look of excitement on my 10 year old son's face when my roadster buckboard first roared into life. Priceless!

Re adjusting the kevlar bands. Do not be to anxious to tighten them. They are best run as loose as possible, within working parameters. Do them up just tight enough to work well without slipping.

Keep up the good work.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Allan,

The Kevlar linings on the low speed and reverse bands seem to be ok. No dragging that I can tell. But the brake pedal still doesn't really spring back completely after releasing the pedal. I had it loosened as far as I could so that it wouldn't drag ... but because of that the spring isn't very effective. Feel I need to push on the brake and release to seat it.

As of this afternoon (after first getting it started) I have only just driven it a few feet back and forth in my driveway to see what it needs for adjusting.

Also, I installed the starter motor this evening ... and it started right up after depressing the pedal. Feeling pretty modern. My first T with a starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:07 pm:

Congrats Mark, its a great feeling, isn't it? Post a vid if you can, we love pics and vids. :-) Here's mine after i rebuilt the trans and got it running pretty decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDHjgIbYqI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:36 am:

I was such a STALWART hand cranker for oh so long. Bah, a starter? What's that for? I can do it myself.
My first starter was just last month.
Get in, sit down, set the levers, set the carb and crank it with your heel. Unless the little turkey gives you a freebie! :-)
Happy that stubborn little bugger finally let go and ran for you Mark. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration