Crank ratchet too short?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crank ratchet too short?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Hello,

My old rank ratchet was stripped and was not staying engaged while starting, so I purchased a new one from Lang's: https://www.modeltford.com/item/3906.aspx

It is advertised as a "1909-1927" part - I have a '15. However, when I installed it, the new one does not reach the pin! The crank handle is all the way to the bushing/sleeve. As you can see from the photo, the two ratchets are different lengths. The old one is longer. Has anyone encountered this issue? What are my options here? Do I need a new, longer crank? I'm pretty annoyed.

My iPhone pictures are too large to upload - please see my photo on IMGUR comparing the two ratchets:
https://m.imgur.com/ctE4tkC
https://i.imgur.com/ctE4tkC_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

The shape of the ratchets varied considerably over the years, but one thing remained constant, and that is the distance from the ratchet pocket to the drilled hole. The new ratchet IS shorter, but if you raised it so that the holes in the two pieces were exactly the same height, you'd see that most of this "shortness" is actually in the part of the shank outboard of the pin hole and has no effect on the ratchet's engagement.

So then if the two measurements are the same, there must be other dark forces at work. Did you replace the crank bushing in the pan? If so, it may not be driven in far enough. If you replaced it and then re-installed your old ratchet, that may be the whole problem causing the "slipping" of the old ratchet. Try installing your old ratchet and pin back on the handle and see if it engages. If not, I'd look someplace other than the ratchet for the trouble.

If your efforts prove that the fault lies in the new ratchet, you could return it and ask that it be replaced with a good used one. Lang's has tons of good used parts; they are great folks and would be happy to help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

I didn't move the bushing. The new ratchet is 2/10 of an inch shorter from the pin to the end of the "teeth." Could I just push the sleeve bushing in farther? I think I have clearance to the radiator to do that ...

And yeah, no fault with Lang's (used to work there), just was hoping to get a drive in today ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

How long is the crank supposed to be, from the spring hole to the ratchet pin hole?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

I measured a NOS crank I have; the distance is 5-5/32" center to center.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Ok, I pushed the bushing in (it was surprisingly loose) and now I am engaging ... I also noticed that the wear on the old ratchet was far out on the tips of the teeth. I'm guessing the bushing was the issue all along ... 😑

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Glad you've got a handle on it. Have a great ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:37 am:

I early pans used a smaller diameter ratchet too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

John ; why don't you use the old one, take a round file and you are in business.
Toon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration