Why you check your rear end on a new purchase

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Why you check your rear end on a new purchase
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

So on this project I got that was the a complete running chassis minus frame. I decided to tear apart the rear end to check things out. I was happy to find bronze washers but as I removed the housing the safety wire had a bit to be desired. As I cleaned I found a cracked axle as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:06 pm:

Oh yeah. That'll hold. :-( :-)
Thank you Chadwick for an excellent reminder. There is more to a rear end than just the thrust washers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

I check my rear end every morning to make sure it still works.
Getting old is not for sissies

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 09:12 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

It is my rule to eyeball and check every nut and bolt in a new unknown Model T. We all know that the word "restored" has
very different meanings to different folks
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:06 pm:

So Doug, I assume that's Dawn with the curlers in her hair. Right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

All the ring gear bolts got 1/2 to a full turn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, August 12, 2017 - 11:53 pm:

Yikes on those ring gear bolts! Poor thing.
Where is the axle cracked?
Wait! It's sorta clean oil inside isn't it? It looks wonderful.
There's a hint of 80-90 in the 600W-rear axle oil I just got from a vendor. I'm allergic to that smell.
600W cylinder oil (for steam engines) doesn't smell like that. Sorry for the drift, Chadwick.
How does that rear axle smell?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:36 am:

Axle smelled ok and there was no glitter, it came out a bit too easy to have been 600w though. Sorry for the typo the axle wasn't cracked the gear on the axle was. The axle looks ok if I can get the gear off and the gear I have on a broken axle looks good if I can get it off. Until I feel like getting into that I found a decent axle and was able to get it all back together. The pinion is a little rough but as I intend to find a warford and have all that apart I didn't tear it down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:20 am:

Bought a "rebuilt" rear end a couple of years go. Was able to use the housings and two of the roller bearings to rebuild the
rear end I pulled to check for bronze vs babbit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

While I may have had doubts before whether or not to tear down the engine and trans I don't anymore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration