Engineer Peak 12800 ft

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engineer Peak 12800 ft
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 07:05 am:

Our daughter Liz was running and climbing in Colorado.
Telluride, Ouray, Silverton, Bear Creek, Santa Ynex and Broadcast Peaks, Island Lake and Ice Lake, Cunningham, Virginius, Black Canyon and Paonia were places they visited. It was the route of a well-known race I think.
Anyway, she would like to know if Model Ts have reached the summit of Engineer Peak please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Nope. US 550 is the main road from Durango to Silverton, and I'm sure many Model T's have been over it. But there's no road to the top of the mountain.

A look at it shows why there's no road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:48 am:

There are plenty of peaks almost that high that T's can go on. Ask Dave Huson. He lives there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 11:02 am:

Summit? Probably not, but there are great jeep trails in the area. Years ago I drove from Silverton to Animas Forks and then on to Ouray via Engineer Pass in mid May. When we arrived at Ouray to our bed and breakfast, the host looked at our muddy Bronco and asked where the heck I'd been. When I told her, she said "honey, that road ain't open yet". I told her, Well, it was now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

We've been over Trail Ridge at 12,185 I think on one of Dave Huson's fabulous tours with our '12 Torpedo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Sorry.
I should have asked if Model Ts drive over Engineer PASS, not Peak!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 03:54 pm:

We have also been over Trail Ridge several times with our 26 touring on one of Dave Huson great tours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 04:06 pm:

I second Gene and David. We went on Dave Huson's Rocky Mountain Tour in 2009 and drove Trail Ridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 04:17 pm:

Chris...It has been many years since I drove that road Modern. In early spring it was a challenge. There was one place that all I saw out the windshield was sky, and had to open the door to look past the hinges to see where I was going, to stay on the road. In that place it was steep with a slight curve to the right and a sheer cliff on the left. I was young and full of bravado. The next two days I spent on the can...just a little bit of stress!

That road looks quite dynamic in that winter and spring are hard on it and likely requires much maintenance due to rock slides and wash-outs, so what I saw years ago has likely changed dramatically in places. Parts of it were a nice drive in the country...probably a good 50-60%...the rest was rocky and quite interesting!

Trail Ridge that others are talking about are in Rocky Mountain National Park and is an entirely different road than what you're asking about. I haven't done that drive but as the others allude to, is quite something

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 05:12 pm:

I think it's quite possible some Model T's have been over Engineer Pass. There's a road that's open from June to November.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Dave Huson drives up all those mountains in high with only 3 gallons of fuel in the tank.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

There have been Model T's up there recently. about 7 years ago Steve Coniff, Trent Boggess were bringing My father, brother, and myself on a few mountain runs. We did Engineers pass, California Pass, Hurricane Pass, Imogene Pass, Schofield Pass, Stoney Pass, and Ophir Pass that I can think of right now. Here are some photos of some of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Lang, MA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Steve and Trent's method of pressurizing the gas tank for steep climbs. Their 25 roadsters with a full tank still had problems with the steep grades on parts of California Pass for example.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:48 pm:

Steve

thanks for taking the time to find and post those photo's

I found several of those including a neat one of the back of a roadster/pu that I put on my wallpaper at work (when I worked...HAHA). I always wondered where those photos were taken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

Makes me want to pack up and head west (as soon as I have a T ready to make the trip). :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Great country !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 02:21 am:

About 12 years ago my son Matt and I went on a trip to the Colorado mountains with Steve Coniff, Trent, and several others. We went over mosquito pass, (13,185) California pass, and several others and had the time of our lives mixed in with a few moments terror! An unforgettable trip!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 04:53 am:

Many thanks from my daughter and I, especially to Steve Lang for his photos.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration