Scam Alert!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Scam Alert!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

This may or may not be a scam, but I'm thinking it is. I've posted the photos to see if anyone out there recognizes these lamps. I got a text early this morning asking if I was still looking for Jno Brown lamps. I said I was and asked for a photo. He sends me two photos of some weirdo brass lamp hooked up to some kind of audio box. When I explained (probably shouldn't have) that was not for a Model T, he apologized for "accidentally" forwarding the wrong photos and proceeded to send the pictures I've posted. He said he lived in West Virginia and that he only wanted $320 including shipping. I was starting to smell something rotten (not my morning coffee breath either!) so I asked for some other general shots, which he provided. I then tried to call him, but it came up as a South Carolina number and when he answered he sounded like a visitor from Nigeria. He kept disconnecting and after three failed calls he texted me and said he has bad reception and we should just stick to texting. I asked him why his number showed a different location than what he claimed and of course he said that he recently moved and prefers to keep his old number. Really suspicious now, so I asked him if he could arrange the lamps one up and one down (an unusual picture to be sure) and send it to me. Then he gets all upset and claims I am asking for too many photos and should just trust him. That's all it took. So please beware of this individual trying to unload what appear to be a pair of really nice Jno Brown Model 15 brass headlamps, which I suspect he pulled from off the internet. If this is TRULY legit, then I apologize to the offended individual; however, any model T guy out there would be happy to provide as many photos asked for in order to sell his merchandise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Probst on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Bill,

I think you are right. I think he pulled the photos off of this thread from 2012:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/302752.html?1343602294

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

Eureka!!! I know John pretty well but I wonder if he's aware that a Nigerian National is trying to sell his stuff!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

Yes, well this was part of a trade I made with the guy for 50 million dollars from the late minister of Rip-u-offtonia, Africa that unexpectedly died but wanted me (his close personal friend that he did not know)to have it if I'd just pay the transfer fees. YES THOSE ARE MY PICTURES AND NO I DON'T BELIEVE THE SELLER HAS THEM. Thanks for letting me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:49 pm:

Just trying to warn any future potential suckers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 01:52 pm:

Bill

good of you to do. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

I agree, thanks Bill. John

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration