HOGSHEAD, BRONZE?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: HOGSHEAD, BRONZE?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

I am in the process of cleaning my engine and hogshead. I noticed as the grease and grim is removed, it looks like the hogshead is brass or bronze. What am I seeing? The engine is a 1919 with starter.
Thank you-Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

Is it magnetic?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 06:35 pm:

It is magnetic, so it must be brass. I was just surprised of the color. I would have thought that it would be pot metal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Be careful Paul...

I once did the refrigerator magnet trick on a 16...it stuck...so when I went to grab and pull yank taking the hogsheads off...it almost went airborne and I twisted a knee! It was aluminum, and the refrig magnet just happened to "see" the flywheel magnets. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Paul, you have a double rarity there. Magnetic brass is the first. Second would have been 'pot metal' with a starter motor mounting. Cast iron covers were introduced in 1916, three years before the starter motor.

Or have I miss read your posts?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

It will not be brass or pot metal it will be cast iron. Magnets only attract to IRON, COBALT AND NICKEL most stainless steel grades are not attracted to a magnet. It is possible that somebody painted it with brass paint. Try scraping some off and you will find cast iron under it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, August 13, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Oddly, aluminum bronze (aluminum + copper alloy) is magnetic. ?!? What th' ?!? I'm pretty certain no hogsheads from any year were cast from aluminum bronze !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 11:00 am:

Paul,

As others have stated, brass in not magnetic.

Now, what are you actually calling the hogshead? Do you mean the removable cover that the pedal shafts are installed in? Or, in other words, the top half of the transmission housing? THAT is the hogshead and they are either aluminum or cast iron. The lower half, which also forms the lower engine pan, is stamped steel, with lots of brazing, (i.e. brass), melted all over it to seal off the and strengthen the rivet holes, where the pan arms are attached. Many folks mistake this as being a brass pan, when in fact it's just steel slobbered with brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

There are plenty of cast brass transmission inspection plates/covers out there, they were made many years back. I come across them from time to time. They look great polished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

I wondered if Paul was meaning the magneto post fitting ? He says "I would have thought that it would be pot metal", but surely no one would think the Transmission cover would be "Pot metal". After all, it holds the pedals and retains & controls the bands.
Or is he confused as to what "Pot Metal" is ? The term normally associated with low strength aluminium-Zinc diecast alloys.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration