26 radiator mounts problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 radiator mounts problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:30 am:

I got the 3-1/4 studs with the springs ,But my radiator will not fit once i put on the last spring What am i missing ? do i need longer studs?
Thank you for any input Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:15 am:

I felt your pain, about 7-8 years ago. I recall having the same issues. But I did get them to fit, I just do not recall what I did. I suspect I might have made up a clamp to pull everything together.

Someone with a better memory will chime in and give a few time.

Best of luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:36 am:

Did the studs come off this car when the radiator was removed? If not, they could be for an earlier car. The studs for the 26-27 are a little longer than the earlier ones. If you have the correct studs, try putting them on without the radiator and the nut should fit. Tighten it as tight as you can which will pull up the flat nut under the top frame rail. Then wedge something like a bar of metal or a piece of wood under it to keep it up with the lower spring compressed. Then remove the upper nut and the stud should stick up high enough to be able to place the radiator with the thimbles and nuts in place. After you get it on, remove the block under the frame rail.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:56 am:

Where do you guys come up with these great diagrams? Is there a publication? I have the Model T Bible and parts books but some of these are great! It would be nice if they were all in one place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:28 pm:

I ran the washer nut out until even with stud then put everything in proper order (Per the diagram above) then had my friend hold the radiator and shroud down while I started the nuts. He said it really didn't take a lot of pressure once everything was lined up. FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

The stud for the Improved Car is 3 1/2" length, the earlier studs are shorter.

Glad you got it fixed. The stud should be run into that lower nut so that just a tiny bit of thread shows, for inserting the cotter. Sometimes you have to re-drill the hole nearer the end of the stud so that nut is lowest.

Some studs have the cotter pin hole drilled too far up. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Bourgeois,Aldergrove BC,Can. on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 02:35 pm:

Iorenzo, here is a drawing of a 26-27 from Martin Vowell.
Hope this helps.
PaulB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lorenzo leon on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:52 pm:

Looks like i need longer studs mine are 3-1/4
Thank you all for your input Lorenzo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

Maximum stud length on any type can be achieved by winding the stud through the plate, inserting the split pin and then backing the stud out of the plate to jam the plate against the pin.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration