First ride/drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First ride/drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:50 am:

Here I sit , at home now, thanks be to God, with my broken hip healing as I type. I had only to make a thicker shim , from material that I have, and install it on the drivers side rear axle/hub to drive my '21 Touring for the first time. I'm trying to decide whether or not to call a buddy who has model Ts, to come over and install the shim and take me for that first ride in my car or wait a while so I can do it myself and drive it myself. I cannot put any weight/pressure on my left foot so low gear would be hard to manage at present. Anybody else take the maiden voyage with someone else doing the driving?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:28 am:

Be sure to heal up before you strain it. I have known others who did too much too soon and broke the bone where the hip is implanted and then had to have the job done all over. Do whatever exercises your doctor has prescribed and no more. Don't bend over too far either! I know it seems like a long wait, but well worth it to heal completely.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:42 am:

If it were me Tommy, I'd "try" and be patient so the maiden voyage would be with me behind the wheel. But.....sometimes you simply need a fix :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 11:17 am:

I think maybe I will get my buddy, Lucas, to bring one of his Ts over and take me for a ride in his to get my "fix".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Good idea Tommy. You don't wanna push that hip. Stick with your therapy religiously too! You don't want any setbacks that will cost you far more T-time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Time to call a buddy in, and let the body heal!

I messed up my shoulder last fall, surgery in early December, and I still can feel it. I tried to notch an arrow,(bow and arrow) a few weeks ago and should have stopped before the first arrow, but I did notch 5, hit the target with three. I decided to give it up and be a spectator. I felt it for a few days. I was surprised how shaky my arm was. The doc did tell me it could easily be a year. I think next I will try a little bowling! As I did buy a new ball the week before injuring my shoulder, and have used it once.

Take your time and heal!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 01:29 pm:

Everybody is different, Tommy. And every injury/illness is different. But we all seem to get that itch to get back in the saddle & make up for lost time as we heal. Unfortunately, the itch seems to come sooner than the recovery.

So here we are: Do we scratch the itch, or do we give it while longer ?

In your case, you could scratch the itch by driving the car yourself or by riding along while your friend drives.

In my mind, driving the car myself satisfies an ego need. I fixed it, I want to drive it. But I'm old enough to have scared the crap out of my ego a few times, and the ego seems to have learned to take a back seat when prudent.

One thing you might consider is that driving the car yourself under normal circumstances may be doable at this point. But you will be somewhat of a test pilot with your newly repaired car. What if something unforeseen happens and you wind up stressing the hip more than planned ?

All things to think about. Your choice to make.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Bond on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:53 pm:

Tommy, let's heal together! Im here in the recliner mending a broken leg. Did it last Sunday PM. Lower right, three breaks. Surgery Tuesday for a metal rod and some screws. Model T I hope!
Following doctors orders carefully, no weight and completely immobile for two weeks, then hopefully into a removable plastic brace that will let me start using it. It was nice day and just before I did this was thinking about taking the 14 out for a little drive on a nice day. Should have done that instead I guess. Chomping at the bit and I know the next few weeks will be critical, but this form will keep me going. I love to give driving lessons in the T but will hold off for now. Goal is to get ready for Hershey. See you there I hope.
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

I have some plates and screws in my repaired/reconstructed hip. I didn't get a chance to tell the surgeon that we T people don't use phillips screws. Straight slot screws ONLY.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:51 pm:

With my tongue in my cheek (or is it???), I'd ask Lucas if he'd pop over at his leisure so you can get a nice long T ride with him.
I'd ask to have the foot-boards around the pedals removed so you can appreciate all of the smells and sounds associated with a nearly (or over) hundred year old engine and transmission.
Mmmm. :-) But that's just me. :-)

Darn it, My eyes got a bit moist for a moment (and it ain't raining here, today anyhow) about this next bit.
The first starts and drives are very personal for me. I prefer to be alone.

Does it put a feather in my hat or make me feel big? Not necessarily, it's just something that trips the trigger in my mind.
But "I" did it/made this possible. :-)
Hahaha! Plus there's a safety factor! :-) You'd throw up at the junk we've dared take down our hill!

:-) My son bent the front frame horn on our 29 International truck speedster when he ran into his mother on the way down!
20 some years later, that's funny as heck! At the time, not so much. No brakes, of course!
Thanks Tommy! I hadn't thought about that for many years!
Wow. Sorry the long babble. :-/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 07:50 am:

I had a motorcycle wreck 30 years ago, which only served to complicate prior injuries to my left leg from a military training injury. My bike was fixed before I was. Matter of fact, I never FULLY recovered. Anyway, I remember riding my bike to the orthopedic clinic with a cast on my leg and my wife following behind in the car with my crutches.

So, do what you will, depending on your personality type. If you're one of these "You can never be too safe" types that wear safety glasses AND a face shield to drive a tack into a block of wood and think you have to have disc brakes on your T or else you don't love your kids, then get all healed up before leaving the house.....ever again.

If you're more the type that refuses to let such things get in your way, then climb in the thing, throw that left leg over outside the brake lever and use the brake lever and your right foot for everything. That's what I did when I had to have surgery last year to go in and fix complications from my multiple injuries to my left leg. And yeah, I was back on my bike before I should have been this time too.

Life's too short to do EVERYTHING they tell you you should do.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration