How to mount wire wheel spare on depot hack?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How to mount wire wheel spare on depot hack?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 11:53 am:

Got this 27 depot hack with T wire wheels and I want to mount a spare. I've got the extra wheel and will get tire and tube.
What hardware would I need to mount this spare?

I'm thinking on the drivers side, fixed body panel between the batterybox on the running board and the front fender. In line with the steering whele.

I've seen the "hub" looking flange that has the lugs to mount the weel to and it would bolt directly onto the wooden body. But it has no other supports for the tire and I fear the stress and weight of the spare would flex the thin ply of the body panel. I could just rest it on the running board and strap it somehow to footman loops.

What have others done or seen? I don't want to get too wild, but I'm not a museum curator for T's either, so the door is open for field modifications.

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 12:08 pm:

Just a tire and clincher rim can hang on the body and rest on the running board.

But a wire wheel and tire is very heavy. Don't have details of this install, but the owner put the tire up under the bed, and looks like a heavy bracket was made, perhaps hinged to lower the wheel and tire to the ground.

This red hack has wire wheels....

wheel and tire under....

Since a spare is rarely used, but safe to have with you, the underneath storage of that heavy wire wheel and tires seems appropriate.

Mounting to the side of the body, IMO, will take some real steel framework to anchor all that weight that can bounce around.

As that wheel and tire are hanging on the body that is bouncing on the spring mounted frame under, un-like the 4 wheels on the T that are un-sprung.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

Hmmmm...
I weigh 220 lbs and step on the running board every time I get in and really didn't think the weight of the spare tire on the opposite running board that never gets stepped on would be an issue. But I'll have to consider that.

The wire wheel with the nickle center cap is such a focal point, I'd hate to "bury" it under the bed.

I'm thinking of a "chock" type base or stand for the spare on the running board to carry the weight and stop any forward or back movement and then fix it to the body somehow to reduce shake, rattle and roll.

Hmmmm....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I'm running Model A wire wheels on my truck and have my spare sitting on the running board. Doesn't seem to be an issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 07:21 pm:

Could you post a pic? Or share with me how you have it attached to the truck and/or running board?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Probably would not work for most builds but I made my cab without doors so I ran a horizontal bar from the inside of the front cowl upright to the inside of what would be the door pillar. This is not attached to any thing but a long bolt goes through it and through a lug hole. The wheel is then squeezed against the body of the cab while resting on the running board. No holes drilled in the body, easily removed and never has budged

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:24 am:

John,
My hack has no door on the drivers side, but does have a body panel at door height, so unless I elevate the spare a little, I'd have to drill through the body panel.

But it's something I'm going to look at. Thanks for the idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Maybe make a block cut with a concave radius to match your tire and let the weight of the tire and wheel rest on that and put a couple of rubber strips on the bottom to help keep it from sliding around. Also, I looked at mine again this morning and I utilized two lug holes and bolts-carriage bolts actually- with the heads on the inside. It is really secure and no alterations to any part of the truck. My cross piece is wood but it is backed up on the inside bottom with angle iron to keep it from flexing when I snug up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Robert, probably not too helpful from this angle but here it is.Truck with sidemount

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

John,
That's a nice look. Location is where I want mine, so now it's just a matter of making it work. I have a running board battery box, so I can use that for the rear "stopper" and make a short notched block for the bottom of the tire to shock it and then see where the lub holes are and determine the best way to put a hole or strap to keep it tight to the body.

Thanks for the pic. Rainy day? Or has the eclips come early?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

It has rained here almost every day since April!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 08:42 pm:

Here's a photo from the internet that shows a metal strap type mount probably similar to the internal one that John has constructed.

I like this look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 09:14 pm:

That set up would probably be better for you Robert. Mine worked out because the opening extends all the way to the floor. This looks like a heavy flat bar bent to give access to the back side and mounted at each end. Good idea.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration