WTB: brass era windshield braces

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WTB: brass era windshield braces
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

The brass tubes (about 1/2" dia.) go from the base of the radiator to the center pivot of the windshield to include the brackets. I now have two brass cars and really liked that option. Does anyone build that item or is it available through vendors, I have not seen them anywhere in parts catalogs. Is there a GOOD, QUALITY reproduction available ??? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:13 pm:

As I understand it, from a friend who was in the same boat, there are none obtainable from vendors. Maybe used ones, or if you're lucky, NOS. But this guy bought the material from McMaster-Karr and made his own. They really turned out nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Regardless of make of automobile:

Brass windshield rod design and the corresponding brackets varies by windshield manufacturer. For example: telescoping/adjustable rods vs fixed/cut-to-length rods.

Brass windshield support rods are steel tubes inside a very thin-walled brass tube. In other words, they are steel tubes covered with a brass skin. There is a reason for this: if they were strictly brass, they would be subject to fatigue and fracture.

For straight up and down windshields, the rods go from the hinge to the front of the car. For off-set windshields, the rods are vertical.

Ford used brass windshield rods through the 1912 model year. Brass support rods to the front of the car would probably be considered passť on any car regardless of make after 1912.

Putting brass rods from the hinges down to the radiator on your 1914 Ford would serve no structural purpose due to the geometry of the off-set windshield. They would be merely decoration. Therefore, you could make up your own set out of brass tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:42 pm:

If you want to buy something off the shelf:

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/windshield-support-rods-3967

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Actually Erik the last windshield "stay" rods used in late 1912 were not brass jacketed steel but steel painted black. I kid you not. The brass jacketed steel tubing version used by Ford are always cracked when you find them and I think it is simply because brass and steel expand and contract in differing amounts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Erik, while I can't say currently, about two months ago my friend inquired with Snyders and was told "out of stock", no idea when or IF there would be any more. That's why he made his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:39 am:

I've seen pictures of early teen Roadster/Touring cars with this angled brace, figuring someone has to make this item or could be bought through a vendor. Would be great if I had a pattern to work off, the base brackets (bottom of radiator to frame) I think would be the hardest to reproduce. Hate to invest 200+ dollars in brass stock then screw it up. Geez, here I thought this would be somewhat easy !!! I agree Erik, it's more cosmetic than functional, but I just like the design and added brass. Photo that sticks in my mind is of Larry Gresh's fire engine truck in his profile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:49 am:

Tim, do you suppose maybe your friend might be interested in making up a set of these braces without breaking the bank ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Lang's sold brass windshield rods years ago, I got the brass tubing from them, a brass casing 'lug' that was then riveted and silver soldered into the upper end.

Drilled that casting with hole for the support bolt that held the Automatic Windshield spring to the frame.

At the fender brace bolt, they supplied this simple fold over clamp, made of brass stock, would be easy to make something similar. The clamp tightened around the brass tubing and was adj. for length by letting the tubing slip up or down. Worked out fine for my '09 faux runabout.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration