How do I fix this problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I fix this problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

We missed doing this before rebuilding this engine.

I'm assuming that unless these surfaces are smooth, I'll have leaks, leading to problems.

The engine is on a stand, so getting to the work area is easy.

My thought is this:

Stuff an oily rag tightly into the port hole. With a wire brush or stone wheel, polish the flat surface that joins the copper gasket, hoping that the oily rag will catch any bits of grit.

If anyone has done this before, let me know what size stone wheel I should use, and possibly what grit.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

I have had a lot of luck using JB Weld in that area, I goop it on and wait 48 hours and then filed it smooth running the file along the block, When I got done with the file work I then covered the file with 400 grit paper to smooth out any ridges I may have missed with the file . Has worked for me. Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:17 pm:

I have seen much worse seal and work fine, especially if you can get the glands to line up and fit into the manifold. However, a quick dressing with a file wouldn't hurt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:29 pm:

I would use the individual copper crush rings. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/318698.html?1351426017

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

I like the oily rag idea. Those ports look very much like the ones on my 1915. I cleaned them with a little wire brush in a Dremel-style grinder. I just cleaned, and didn't grind. That's all. I installed the steel rings and copper gaskets with high temp RTV. It sealed fine. No problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 06:58 pm:

Bill,

I don't think it looks too bad. To really do anything substantially helpful, you'd have to take a cut off the block face.

What I'm concerned with is the freeze plug looking like it's not been crushed tight.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Everett on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 07:06 pm:

Jerry, I wondered about that freeze plug, too. I've not installed a freeze plug, nor have I seen it done.

Is there a youtube showing how it's done?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 10:51 pm:

I'd grab a 1/2 inch bolt and a hammer and flatten it some but that's me. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration