T not starting.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: T not starting.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:33 pm:

Hope all is well,

I am try to eliminate the reasons why my engine is reving up slow and weak and then eventually not reving up at all while
pressing the starter. I got a new batttery, a new fuse, cleaned the ground wire, not sure why there isn't any juice going to the starter. Before I might need to pull out the starter I want to check the little things first. It could be that my starter button is old and something inside is shorting? Please let me know if have any advice on this. Thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Jump across the switch terminals with a screwdriver and see if you get an improvement, or run a jumper cable direct from the battery to the starter.
Make sure your car has good battery cables! those clamp on terminals are junk and will corrode until no juice can get through, even though they look fine.
A good multi-meter will show if you are lacking continuity between your battery and ground,
your battery and the switch, the switch and the starter, the starter and chassis ground.

If all that checks out, you have a worn out starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

I assume George and Mart have you properly set up with six volts and the appropriate six volt cables. Sometimes folks try to use twelve volt cables with a six volt battery, and they just don't carry enough current. Cleaning the ground cable is a good start, but did you make sure both ends are clean and making solid metal to metal contact? My truck once gave me similar trouble, and I found that the ground cable wasn't clamped tightly to the battery terminal.

You also want to be sure the connections at F, G and H and I are clean and tight. But before you do G and H, just do F and I. Then disconnect G and touch it to the cable at H. It will spark, but it probably won't kill you. :-) If the starter works properly, your problem was the connections. If it's still sick, the most likely problem is the switch. The third possibility, trouble in the starter itself, is least likely.

How is the roadster running once you get it started?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

All good Advice, will try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

How does it turn with the hand crank? If it turns over with the crank, your engine is not frozen. Also try jacking up the rear wheels with the parking lever in neutral position or in high gear. That will eliminate drag caused by the clutch disks. If it still turns harder with the starter, you have poor electricity to the starter. It can be caused by dirty connections or by the wrong cables. You need cables made for use with a 6 volt battery. Those are not the usual cables found in most auto parts stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

The correct cable size is #1/0. It is larger in diameter than the cables made for 12 volts.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

Norman, I've been driving this car for 2 years now. Nothing is wrong with the motor. I actually drove it last week. This problem occurred this morning when I was trying to start it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

It could be the starter itself. I have had a starter which turned the engine very slowly and replaced it with a rebuilt starter. it works fine now. But what I was posting above is to eliminate other things which could possibly be causing the problem. Even a new battery can sometimes be bad. If you put a charger on the battery and it charges very quickly you could have a bad battery. Normally a dead battery will take a while to fully charge. If you have a quick charger, try charging for about 15 minutes and then try the starter. That will usually rule out a problem with the battery. Rebuilt starters are quite expensive, so you will want to check everything else which could be the cause of your problem before replacing the starter. Of course if you have another T which starts on the starter you can try swapping starters and see if the problem moves with the starter. Another possible problem would be a poor ground between the engine and the frame. A ground strap between one of the starter hold holding bolts at the hogs head and the frame near the starter can sometimes help.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, August 14, 2017 - 09:16 pm:

Derrick, would you keep us to date when you find the problem?
Thanks! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derrick Pang on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Turns out it was just a bad battery. I had bought a new battery assuming it was good, but it wasn't. I returned it yet again the same day and the my t ran started up strong with the new replaced battery. Prior to this, I trickled charged the bad battery for about 2 hours and the car started, only to shut down within 2 minutes, so that eliminated the starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

It happens... glad you got it fixed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, August 15, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

Good. It's always good to find out what caused a problem and fix it.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration